Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Pony up?

I'm not sure how much a "sign of the times" it is. Granted fewer people have the extra cash now, but truthfully most collectors don't oanic anymore. It's been several years since the inception of ebay and the likes. The internet brought a zillion cars out of attics, basements, etc...

What was once few and far between is now a little more frequent.

There are not many cars in ANY collection that have gone UP in value in the last couple years. How many times have you seen cars in the last few years, that you only saw in books for 10 years prior?

Case in point... I found a mail away STP (AFX) years ago and basically stole it. Mint on the card (shrink wrapped). It was a huge find. Didn't know the value then, but had never seen one... It was by far the greatest car in my collection. Now- they sell for $100 all day long. Remember what they used to be?

I always liked the Pick-ups by tyco and wanted the 8-ball version, don't have the orange one either but... in time. You say $200, the auction says $130 and change. A couple more years, maybe $100. Guys aren't racing them, they sit on the shelf and play with the real "race" slot cars...

Bid what you feel is right.. and you never go wrong...

-Marc and Marcus

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Sign of the times......sold one in the same condition a couple of years ago for almost $200! :devil:

-----------------------
www.SlotCarJohnnies.com

+

I'm not sure how much a "sign of the times" it is. Granted fewer people have the extra cash now, but truthfully most collectors don't oanic anymore. It's been several years since the inception of ebay and the likes. The internet brought a zillion cars out of attics, basements, etc...

What was once few and far between is now a little more frequent.

There are not many cars in ANY collection that have gone UP in value in the last couple years. How many times have you seen cars in the last few years, that you only saw in books for 10 years prior?

Case in point... I found a mail away STP (AFX) years ago and basically stole it. Mint on the card (shrink wrapped). It was a huge find. Didn't know the value then, but had never seen one... It was by far the greatest car in my collection. Now- they sell for $100 all day long. Remember what they used to be?

I always liked the Pick-ups by tyco and wanted the 8-ball version, don't have the orange one either but... in time. You say $200, the auction says $130 and change. A couple more years, maybe $100. Guys aren't racing them, they sit on the shelf and play with the real "race" slot cars...

Bid what you feel is right.. and you never go wrong...

-Marc and Marcus

= (IMHO)

"Sign of the Times" :thumbsup:

I have always said: "Buy what you like, not what you feel will go up in value" we lose perspective FAR to often.....after all, these are little toy cars!

-------------------------
www.SlotCarJohnnies.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts