Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/1968-REPUBLIC-T...mdZViewItemQQptZSlot_Cars?hash=item2ea9ac8544

When I was a kid some friends of my parents had one and we raced it when ever we went to their house. I loved it so much that one day they ahd a yard sale and I bought it. That thing was awesome. You had the Christmas tree that had to turn green to start and you had to shift to get the cars to run. I have not seen one since I wa about 10. Awesome!

·
Crazed Painter
7,230 Posts
Memories...of the way we were.

That is an Awesum DRAG race set Part Timer! I can see why you liked this set so much as a kid. :)

Bob...old stuff is kewl expecialy the memories they bring back...zilla

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's a cool set. I seem to remember that being advertised or seeing it in a hobby shop. So I bet if you really liked it, someone here with the know how could build someting similar with updated electronincs and cars for less than the 670 odd dollars that one cost. Any takers?

·
Registered
245 Posts
i see the price for that set climbed up a few hundred.A few yesrs back i used to see them at shows for about 120-150.00.Lets see what the next one does.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
NOS, no wonder it went for so much! How many can there be like that? And the Road Runner himself on the box.... That set would be a very cool item to reproduce, love the miniature shifters!

It looks like the shifter energizes the track sequentially - wow! And it shuts down if you jump the green! The pictures aren't linked any more, no enlarged detail - would be neat to have for reference!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I still have this set packed away. Bought it when I worked at a Dodge dealer. May have been a mopar dealer only item they also did that with some Lionel train sets. You had to shift the shifter at the right spot on the track or else the car would slow down. If you look at the track there are more than one rail on one side for the power. My set still works but I wish I had save the box after seeing that price.

·
Most Interesting Member
6,314 Posts
That's a cool set. I seem to remember that being advertised or seeing it in a hobby shop. So I bet if you really liked it, someone here with the know how could build someting similar with updated electronincs and cars for less than the 670 odd dollars that one cost. Any takers?
This set has always been a cool idea. I have plans to build something similar for tjets or magnatractions or curve huggers. You could have four sections of track, with each gear completing the circuit for one section of track. Any regular lap counter could be set up to do the rest.

Hmmmmmmmm........... on my "to do" list.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts