Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "Tooligan" ?? A car made up of wrenches, screwdrivers & a tape measure front end. Are you kidding me?? :confused: :rolleyes: This one should take it's rightful place along with the "Sup Dog" & all the other idiotic fantasy cars mindlessly produced over the years.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I agree. Athough Mattel doesn't take kindly to critcisim, sometimes it's warranted.
It's a good thing that this site isn't run by a specific diecast manufacturer, otherwise you'd have to drink the proverbeal koolaid or risk a punishment they deem appropriate for stating the obvious.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I like some of the fantasy cars they do what I don't like is when they do a real car casting and it looks like a turd. Koolaid of death :D god help U if U say a bad thing or word a post and they don't like it the hotwheel police will kick your front door in and take all your diecast that't not a hotwheel.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
The car is alright better than the Suppdog and a few others. I got tired of Koolaid a few years ago, and got banned. The funny thing is I still can renew my RLC and buy their stuff.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
779 Posts
The car is alright better than the Suppdog and a few others. I got tired of Koolaid a few years ago, and got banned. The funny thing is I still can renew my RLC and buy their stuff.:rolleyes:
That's because they need your money, not your opinion.
There's something seriously wrong with a company that doesn't care about potential customers.

·
Registered
750 Posts
All reasons i hate hot wheels. They dont care about us or what we think, and they wont let us say anything negative about them.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess I was a little harsh. I suppose a kid would find this car kind of cool. I just get really frustrated with Hot Wheels. They can produce a great diecast car at times. But when they do, they are almost impossible to find at retail or the line gets cancelled prematurely. I'd much rather see them produce 1 or 2 quality pieces of diecast than 10-20 of the fantasy stuff. But, as many others have stated, it's all about the $$ and not about the collectors. Too bad because like I had said, Hot Wheels can really make some great cars if they so desire.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Well, not for nothing, we are talking about TOY cars. They are, by and large, aimed at children! Believe me, nothing irritates me more than the fact that they retired some great castings, like a Ferrari, BUT I also know that the point of these cars is kids. In the end, guys, there are a LOT more children out there than adults buying these things. I don't like fantasy cars myslef, except for the occasional car I can give as a joke, BUT I always know tha tthere will be more great new cars coming down the line! Kepp the faith!!!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
BUT I also know that the point of these cars is kids. In the end, guys, there are a LOT more children out there than adults buying these things.

I haven't seen a child in 30 years go up to a counter and pay for a HW.

It is us Adults that is keeping Mattel in business .... If us Adults stop
buying what they make then you will see Mattel close there doors.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I haven't seen a child in 30 years go up to a counter and pay for a HW.

It is us Adults that is keeping Mattel in business .... If us Adults stop
buying what they make then you will see Mattel close there doors.
Yeah, I saw a statistic somewhere that stated that the average kid had something like 40-50 Hot Wheels cars in their collection, whereas the average adult collector has more than 1000. You tell me where most of the cars go.

Please do enlighten me though, is this "Tooligan" a new car for the 2010 lineup? Because I haven't heard of it, and the only new 2010 car I've seen that they are releasing is a '67 Shelby Mustang.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mattel tried to split their Hot Wheels line into 2 different lines. Main Lines and Classics.
The problem is they didn't make the Classics cars nice enough for the prices they wanted. It also should have also consisted of cars exclusive to that line {like the 100% line}. Completely separate form the main line with no sharing of castings from the main line. The main line would be marketed to kids with a price point under a dollar. That way if anybody doesn't like the kiddie line cars, that's their own problem.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Sometimes they do come out with interesting fantasy stuff like the Radio Flyer and shopping cart. I love the Carbonator, I have one in my display case and one in the kitchen drawer to actually open bottle caps. :) Torpedo Jones is cool too but since it represents an actual Fiat (or is it an Alfa, I forget now), it's not really a Fantasy car.

Gerry

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Most of their "fantasy stuff" I tend to find absurd at best but the occasional casting comes along and it's just neat. So neat in fact... that I end up taking one home if and when I see it. Also, being a little bit of a mechanic myself, I find this new one to be in my future.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see these at Auto Zone or Pep Boys later. perhaps even on the Snap-On truck too. just sayin:rolleyes:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Sometimes they do come out with interesting fantasy stuff like the Radio Flyer and shopping cart. I love the Carbonator, I have one in my display case and one in the kitchen drawer to actually open bottle caps. :) Torpedo Jones is cool too but since it represents an actual Fiat (or is it an Alfa, I forget now), it's not really a Fantasy car.
I'm with you on this.

Mattel has to make money to stay in business. If the high end pieces don't carry their weight and bring in the revenues then the low end kiddie stuff is what butters the bread. I didn't afford a lot of the high end stuff...ten bucks for *another* vw bug or chevy camaro gets old fast.

A lot of the fantasy stuff bombs. I seriously don't know what they were thinking with Sup Dog, I don't know anybody who likes it.

But now Radio Flyer, Fast Lane, Speed-o-Saurus (especially with the heart tatoo on his butt), and even the Carbonator I like.

Remember a few years back when they pushed for 100 first editions and tried all kinds of goofy things? I've got all the Fatbacks, even the Kmart Silhouette, but the only two I like are the Cuda funny and the Jack(R)abbit special. I don't know what they were thinking with the flattened cars, the only one I even kind of liked was the Speed Bump Tucker. And the Blings...yuck! But some of the melts were pretty cool, and I liked some of the Hardnoses. And the imitation Muscle Machines were my cup o' tea, I like all of them.

Yes, they're toys. The tampos they've been putting on otherwise decent castings to make sets for the last 15 years should be enough to convince about that. Mixed Signals?, that was one ugly set. There's plenty more where that came from. But every once in a while they snuck something pretty cool in: Dark Riders 1 and 2, White Ice, Blue Streak, I even like the Tech Tones...no two were exactly the same.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
What grabs my attention are these type of Cars from Mattel.

68-77
Redlines of course

80's Cars
Crash Ups with flipping hoods & doors

90's & 2000 Cars
Hot Seat - Toilet
Radio Flyer - Wagon
Go Kart
Shopping Cart
Hyper Mite
Teed Off - Golf Cart
Carbonator - Bottle Opener