Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
What about the Batmobile kit? There is one on the bay if you check under Fest cars
If my Batmemory is in order, that was from the comic book, not the TV show. There are various detailing differences between the two. There were a bunch of licensing issues with the Barris car, so it hasn't been made in quite a while.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Mark H. would know the specifics on the car. I know that I have a JL Batmobile at home. I cannot comment if it is from the TV show or a 1960'c comic (I don't know the difference) But it is a 60's Batmobile and it is cool!

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=173676

Down a couple of pics you'll see Mark Hosaflooks Ultra rare WL version of an assembled Batmobile kit. Very cool car indeed! I have seen others assembled. Mine is home in the box unassembled. mine is NOT a WL like Marks. I have a pic of the boxed kit if somebody wants to post it Ill email it to you. I cannot post pics (or see pics) at work.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
HW just released the Barris Batmobile. The pictures of it look great! The first one I saw on the bay went for $182!!!.......for a 99cent blue card HW!! I'll wait till the insanity is over and grab one from the pegs.
I've seen custom JL Batmobiles before - using the Futura. Takes steady surgeon's hands to do that custom job!

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I can't get on e-bay at work as it is filtered but the JL released Batmobiles in kit only form are comic book Batmobiles. Some of them may have a spot or two in a cartoon but JL never did a Barris version that's for sure. JL released the two comic versions along with the Bat'copter and boat. They had another release all speced out that by memory included I think two more comic book version cars that can be had in larger Corgi fashion and larger scale figurines of Batman and Robin in single seat helicopter type thingys. I saw raw versions of these and one set painted. They were pretty cool but as always with Batman stuff, legal issues and license /money things came up I heard. I think Dave Metzner painted them up.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I just hope bidders actually read that it's "converted from" the Lincoln Futura. The guy does good work though, I know it would take me a long time with many tragedies make one of my own...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
you know if you are gonna do all that work to make a custom Bataman car and Batman card and reblister it , you would think you could take out the card in front that says "American Glory Lincoln Futura"

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Long Arm of the LAW said:
you know if you are gonna do all that work to make a custom Bataman car and Batman card and reblister it , you would think you could take out the card in front that says "American Glory Lincoln Futura"
I never noticed that. That's pretty funny.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The seller's wording is tricky...but man, they did a nice job on that car and card. Right down to the notches in the fins. At first glance, I thought it was something JL made during my time away from collecting. I thought about attempting something like this, but just don't have the proper tools to do a job like that.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Sold for $285.

Was it worh the money? I don't think so from a diecast point of view. Granted, a painting or sculture might bring in that kind of money...and whoever did this certainly sculted the fins and nose...not to mention the nice additions and touches to the rest of the car. Painting that tiny bat emblem on the door would take an aweful steady hand...unless it's a decal of some kind.

It's deffinitly art, which is hard to put a price on for time and effort alone. It's also a noe of a kind custom...which to sell more than a few (which would be overlooked) of would infringe copywrite and all sorts of legalities. So it would always be a sort of rarity. Are we prejudiced by the fact it's a diecast that costs around $4? And the question of whether it would ever be worth it would really be a matter of what the person did with his talent in the future. He may develope a name if persistant and sell car art for several times that amount. It's speculation right now, but not unheard of.

So, from the standpoint of looking at talent vs. what most of us do in our spare time for fun and enjoyment...and granted, I've seen some great custom paint jobs here that knocked my socks off, but I've never quite seen a diecast molded and tooled into something of this calibur...is $285 too much if we look at it from an artist's viewpoint?

The fact that it's the TV Batmobile (desirability) has a lot to do with it. But Batman is an American icon...and I've sold covers from Spiderman comics in the past that sold for more than that car. One went for $700. To many...even those who do not collect diecast...the Batmobile has a meaning beyond simply the car. It is something that goes beyond the diecast market and reaches comic fans, people who grew up with the TV show, cartoons, movies etc.. Crazy? Maybe...but I thought I would give you a different set of opinions to consider.

And some of you thought the Batmobile was just another car :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
jasydad said:
Wouldn't there be copyright/legal issues involved here? Johnny Lightning never produced that card/car.
i highly doubt it being as it is a custom. if the seller was trying to pawn it off as a legit RC2 product, then i could see a problem. it is exactly what the seller states it is, a johnny lightning futura converted into the 66 batmobile. there are hundreds of diecast customs being sold these days. i haven't seen any copyright issues with any of them.
now, if this seller were to mass produce this car and call it a legitimate production car without including that it is a johnny lightning product, then i could see copyright issues arise. there was a guy (also member of the board) who had a few 1/64 resin kits made of the 66 batmobile. the mold was based off a modified johnny lightning futura. he sold them on the boards and some on e-bay. some were as finished kits and others unbuilt. he stated that they were custom resin kits based off the JL futura and never once ran into a copyright problem. someone asked the same question when one of his kits was seen on e-bay and posted here. i personally have one of those kits and can say that the detail is amazing. you would not believe how much time and effort was put into the interior parts,chrome trim, grille etc.

·
Registered
10,980 Posts
Pewter02WS6 said:
i highly doubt it being as it is a custom. if the seller was trying to pawn it off as a legit RC2 product, then i could see a problem. it is exactly what the seller states it is, a johnny lightning futura converted into the 66 batmobile. there are hundreds of diecast customs being sold these days. i haven't seen any copyright issues with any of them.
now, if this seller were to mass produce this car and call it a legitimate production car without including that it is a johnny lightning product, then i could see copyright issues arise. there was a guy (also member of the board) who had a few 1/64 resin kits made of the 66 batmobile. the mold was based off a modified johnny lightning futura. he sold them on the boards and some on e-bay. some were as finished kits and others unbuilt. he stated that they were custom resin kits based off the JL futura and never once ran into a copyright problem. someone asked the same question when one of his kits was seen on e-bay and posted here. i personally have one of those kits and can say that the detail is amazing. you would not believe how much time and effort was put into the interior parts,chrome trim, grille etc.
I'd really love to see a pic of that if it is possible. :wave: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Lpgeoteacher said:
I'd really love to see a pic of that if it is possible. :wave: :thumbsup:
i will get pics of the unassembled kit later tonight but here is a pic of a completed kit. the pic isn't the greatest but it gives you an idea of how sweet it looks. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts