Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok about 2 yrs ago i bought a old go cart from a friend in nj , i tested it and the motor ran and we test drove it ect , well i tore it down to rebuild it (it wasn't completed , no brakes and needed paint ect ) . the motor is either a 3 hp or 3.5 hp briggs . i found a crane racing cam for go carts and a ported cylinder head on ebay , so i bought and installed them well the motor has sat in my shop for almost 2 yrs and i wanted to see how it would run , well after a few pulls i decided to check compression and i had hardly any maybe 5 lbs , i used a new head gasket , i think the cam and head were for 5hp briggs but they both fit on the 3.5hp motor fine , what could be causeing the motor to not get any compression ? i was thinking valve springs , i have a set that are supposed to go w/ this cam , but haven't installed them yet , any suggestions are appreciated , thanks

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Check and make sure the valves are actually closing when the piston comes up for its compression stroke...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks bugman ,
i was thinking lastnight after posting this that maybe the lobes on the cam are not letting the valves close completely , if this is the case i guess i would grind the valve stems down right ? also bugman what is the best way to check for proper valve clearance ?

·
Registered
750 Posts
check the valves first, maybe the spring is bad, then grind the stem... and b4 grinding the stem try to use the valves that came with the cam =) good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts