Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! My boyfriend has mentioned that he wants to get back into modeling, so I'm buying him a kit for his birthday. I was putting togeher a package on one hobby site and under the kit i chose there was a list of accessories. Two of those are paint sets..one is an auto detailing set and the other is a model finishing set with brushes, glue and the such. Do I need both? Can I just get the finishing? HOw important is it to have "stop light red" and "fire engine red" as opposed to just "red"? Any help would be very appreciated. I'm sure he'd be happy with whatever I got for him, I just want to be sure he has good base to on which to build. Also, recomendation of any good sites to order from. Thank you!

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
www.megahobby.com has good service and reasonable prices.

From your comment, I'm guessing you got him a car kit.

The small bottles of paint and brushes are good for doing details, and you're right, it doesn't matter a whole lot.

But for finishing the exterior he'll need spray paint. Pick whatever color YOU like.

Be sure to give him the link for this BB.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of guys on the board wish you were their girlfriend!!! Your boyfriend is lucky to have found a girl supportive of his hobby choices!!

Wayne

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Rebel Rocker said:
I'd be willing to bet that a lot of guys on the board wish you were their girlfriend!!! Your boyfriend is lucky to have found a girl supportive of his hobby choices!!

Wayne
And she's BUYING too !!!

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
The model kit is nice as would be a few basic modeling tools (X-Acto knife, good plastic cement, good quality brushes, etc.). The accessory sets your talking are probably pretty generic (I'm thinking Testors paint sets) and include things like poor quality paint brushes and tube glue.

If it were me getting the gift, I'd really like:
  • The model kit
  • An X-Acto knife with a pack of #11 blades
  • A bottle of Tenax 7R glue
  • 2-4 reasonable paint brushes (5-0, 0, 1 and 5 sizes)
  • A gift certificate to my local hobby store (or online store) for the other stuff
If you have a local hobby store, I'd start there. You can get all this stuff without paying shipping plus get some expert advice. If you have to go online, ask Megahobby to make suggestions.

If all else fails, the automotive paint set would be my choice and get a bottle of liquid plastic cement (I still like Tenax 7R, if available). Brushes and the X-Acto knife you can get from a craft or art store.

Jim

·
Registered
306 Posts
I think it is time you guys stop teasing e-beth just because she is a female, and help her in her gift making.

Well, for one a exacto knife would be nice to get him.
A few new brushes too. Just get a couple of packs, with various sizes, and if you can find any microbrushes (very tiny little ones for small areas), I am sure he would appreciate it too.
As far as glue goes, dont worry about the exact name and type and everything. Just get a simple tube. You can find them in a lot of places, even if its not a Hobby Store. No glue pens, or anything funny looking. Although they may seem like something awesome, they dont work. Just a simple tube works fine.
As far as paint, www.pastimehm.com (I think thats it) should suit your needs. If not, go to polarlights.com and they have a list of stores that do modeling, many that have paint.

Do you know what colors he needs? Perhaps then it would be easier to tell you if you should just get a generic color.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
e-beth said:
Hi! My boyfriend has mentioned that he wants to get back into modeling Thank you!
Are you sure he was talking kits , right? ;)
o.k.
Polar lights 1/1000 Enterprise would be a great way for him to "restart" his hobby. :thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Rebel Rocker said:
[Pussycat Dolls]Don't cha wish your girlfriend was a geek like me . . .[/Pussycat Dolls]

BTW, no offense is intended — around here, "geek" is a compliment!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts