Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone who has the Moebius PRE-BUILT spacepod post some closeup pictures of their spacepod from all 4 sides ,the lower seams area, & the top of the pod please.
Thank you
Bert:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Good or bad, here they are:

Sorry about the spotty picture quality, it's overcast with rain looming overhead and for some reason (probably me), the focus just didn't cooperate. I hate my camera...I need to get a better one. My roomie's camera takes much better pics than mine does.

Sigh...enough whining for now. If you need more specific pics, let me know and I'll do my best.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks everyone gemini99, can you tell me if the big radar dish on top has its pole straight sticking in the hole or does yours have a lean to it ? I wanted to find out if this is normal & if not how difficult it would be to pull it out & not break it & re set it. Also in the front, the black square that sits between the 2 round objects, yours looks a little slanted when you look at the bottom, mine is to so maybe this is the way it is supposed to be ? i was comparing it to built up "model Kits" where the modelers got rid of the seams as the prebuilts seem to have some seams. this is an outstanding prebuilt and moebius has done it again, the pod was bigger than i thought and i am very happy about that. I just want to find out if the top anteanae radar dish & the black grille on the front are normally slanted a little if so I don't want to undo want irwin allen and the prop makers designed by straightening things that are suppossed to be tilted a little. mine also has the same paint scuff over the left side decal where yours is.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The antenna did have a bit of a lean to it on mine - I never really noted it until I took the pics...mainly because I've been keeping it in the display box it came in. I did apply a slight amount of pressure to the antenna and it's standing straight. From what I can tell, the black grille is mounted the way the original kit allows it to be, so I don't know what to say about that.

The pre-built model does have some serious seams on it, but I'm not about to pull it apart in an attempt to fix it. I have the model kit to build, so when I get around to that, I'll make sure that the home-built version is a bit tighter looking.

All in all, I was pretty pleased with what I got. About the only bit that I didn't like is that the fusion core only has the exterior "frame" with no kind of plastic insert inside of it. I might pull that off and craft some kind of opaque insert so you can't see straight through it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
thanks everyone gemini99, can you tell me if the big radar dish on top has its pole straight sticking in the hole or does yours have a lean to it ? I wanted to find out if this is normal & if not how difficult it would be to pull it out & not break it & re set it. Also in the front, the black square that sits between the 2 round objects, yours looks a little slanted when you look at the bottom, mine is to so maybe this is the way it is supposed to be ?
I've got both the pre-built and a kit that I assembled. I can't photograph the pre-built because I left it in the window box and put it inside my closed display cabinet.

However, I would say the things you are describing are par-for-the-course with prebuilts and I wouldn't worry about them. I would suspect that every one has SOMETHING out of whack to a certain degree. Mine is really pretty good but that device (I don't know what it is) on the lower right had side (as you face it) is rotated at a wonky angle. It also has a small flake of paint on the inside of one of the main windows (which I could probably remove assuming it just fell in there and didn't get painted on).

I wouldn't accept this on a model that I built but I consider these things to be within tolerance for a mass production item so I don't concern myself unless they are REALLY off-kilter. I took two weeks to build mine and probably put 20 or 30 hours into it. The pre-builts probably fly off the production line with a few minutes of labor put into them.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, YES I am very pleased with my space pod, i did not want to "change" the appearance of the 2 things i noted as being slanted a little and come to find out they are suppossed to be like that so i decided to ask before i fixed something that didn't need to be fixed because it was designed that way. I will gently try to adjust the top radar dish pole because i can see the very bottom off to the side is not in the hole all the way. Gemini, My Pod DOES have a clear plastic insert inside the fusion core frame, i poked it with a toothpick because it is hard to see because it is so clear. I hope Moebius releases a pre-built chariot in the same scale, I am extremely happy & satisfied with my space pod. Thanks for the help & pictures !
Bert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts