Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those small parts,I mean very small parts can be a big headache and very easily lost even when your careful not to lose them.Tonight I was working on my 1/350 Seaview and was preparing to put in one of the running lights on the Seaviews tail fin.I went to test fit it with tweezers and it fell on to the rug never to be seen again.I did look for it but its gone.I had some Testor clear window maker on hand and put two dots of it on the tail fins.That was my quick fix.Always be super careful with those small parts.I know I will not be the only one to lose these parts.Guy Schlicter.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Those small parts,I mean very small parts can be a big headache and very easily lost even when your careful not to lose them.Tonight I was working on my 1/350 Seaview and was preparing to put in one of the running lights on the Seaviews tail fin.I went to test fit it with tweezers and it fell on to the rug never to be seen again.I did look for it but its gone.I had some Testor clear window maker on hand and put two dots of it on the tail fins.That was my quick fix.Always be super careful with those small parts.I know I will not be the only one to lose these parts.Guy Schlicter.
I had the same thing happen to me when My son and I were building his Enterprise E this past summer. One of the shuttle docking ports (which were ridiculously small) was dropped on the carpet; never to be found. Lesson learned.

Marc

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
If you do drop parts on a carpet or hard floor even... try taking your vacuum cleaner want tube and stretching a nylon stocking over the end. You can suck up all kinds of stuff but it won't go into the tube. You will be able to sort through crumbs, pet hair, sprue shavings, etc. and find really tiny parts. I have recovered some tiny things like photo-etch ring and bead gun sights that way...

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
I dropped one of my tailfin lights while assembling it. I searched the carpet for five minutes. Sat back down again, and discovered that I already picked it up and was lodged underneath the tip of my fingernail! :freak:
Using this as an inspiration, I inserted the light into the tailfin using fingernail clippers instead of tweezers.
I then proceeded to repeat the experience with the OTHER tailfin lamp disappearing into my carpet. :eek:
From starting to finishing the tailfin lamp assembly, inserting & cementing 2 tiny parts, cost me 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. Next time I build this kit, I'll just use Testor's clear window maker. :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts