Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Doesnt surprise me..street bikes/motorcycles/moped/go-karts, etc. accelerate 100 times faster than a car. The little go-kart shifter carts with 250cc motors will outrun a Firebird Ws6 :)

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
ok forgive my ignorance... when the Bird blows two jets of what looks like steam out of its hood (nostrils?), what is that? I noticed the moped did the same thing out of one little spot on the handlebars... I'm guessing it's a way to shoot NOx into the atmosphere... am I close?

--rick (the nitrous ignorant)

·
Registered
678 Posts
yep its the purge or fogger to clear the lines of excess Nos that may have been trapped and to clear moisture like he said....

·
Registered
886 Posts
Yeah, those "firechickens" are so slow. So are those Camaro things. I mean, a stock WS6 Bird/Z28 Camaro only runs mid 13's in the quarter right off the showroom floor. And guys are modifying them to run a little faster. Add a K&N air tube and filter, a cat. back exhaust, some NO2 and slicks and run 10's or 11's in the 1320. So slow. :lol:
The thought of a go-kart outrunning a Bird(or any musclecar) is funny until you realize the horsepower to weight ratio is enormously favored to the kart. Especially one with NO2. That little motor is probably pushing(or is well in excess of) 100 horses with the nitrous, 1/4 that of the Bird, but is probably only 1/10th the weight of the car. :wave:

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
flyin'68bird said:
the horsepower to weight ratio is enormously favored to the kart. Especially one with NO2. That little motor is probably pushing(or is well in excess of) 100 horses with the nitrous, 1/4 that of the Bird, but is probably only 1/10th the weight of the car.
I agree with you in principle but not in figures. That little scooter is probably making 25 HP max, even with the NOx, since stock they usually only make a few HP. How ever the weight of the scooter plus driver was more like 25lbs + 160 lbs = 185 lbs. The Firebird plus driver is more like 4000 lbs. 185/4000= .046. That means the scooter is less than 5% of the weight of the car, or less than 1/20th the weight. And 25/400=.0625. So clearly the scooter has the power to weight ratio advantage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
flyin'68bird said:
Yeah, those "firechickens" are so slow. So are those Camaro things. I mean, a stock WS6 Bird/Z28 Camaro only runs mid 13's in the quarter right off the showroom floor. And guys are modifying them to run a little faster. Add a K&N air tube and filter, a cat. back exhaust, some NO2 and slicks and run 10's or 11's in the 1320. So slow. :lol:
The thought of a go-kart outrunning a Bird(or any musclecar) is funny until you realize the horsepower to weight ratio is enormously favored to the kart. Especially one with NO2. That little motor is probably pushing(or is well in excess of) 100 horses with the nitrous, 1/4 that of the Bird, but is probably only 1/10th the weight of the car. :wave:
Running a 10 or an 11 is pretty damn fast for a car off the showroom floor. Not everyone can afford to build a 4-6 second tube chassis dragster :)

·
Registered
481 Posts
WS6 owner and a lot of fun to drive and I believe under 5 secs in the 0-60. You can only get to 55 so fast as my dad told me and I like it! Never found out what the other 2 gears are for since I have only been to fourth gear at about 70-80. Just nice to blow the kids away in rice burners at the light.

BTW: Today I beat a moped and a scooter!

·
Registered
886 Posts
PWSchuh said:
I agree with you in principle but not in figures. That little scooter is probably making 25 HP max, even with the NOx, since stock they usually only make a few HP. How ever the weight of the scooter plus driver was more like 25lbs + 160 lbs = 185 lbs. The Firebird plus driver is more like 4000 lbs. 185/4000= .046. That means the scooter is less than 5% of the weight of the car, or less than 1/20th the weight. And 25/400=.0625. So clearly the scooter has the power to weight ratio advantage.
Uh, I was greatly estimating on the figures, but have you ever seen junior dragsters? They are pushing Briggs' motors that, in stock form, produce no more than 10 horses up to well over 50 to 75 horses and sometimes more without nitrous. But, thanks for the figures. I was not aware those scooters are that light. I was thinking more like 100 to 200 pounds. 25 pounds? That is light. :wave:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Type2VDubs said:
Running a 10 or an 11 is pretty damn fast for a car off the showroom floor. Not everyone can afford to build a 4-6 second tube chassis dragster :)
Yeah, I know. But take the nitrous away and they won't run in the 10's or low 11's without more modifications. However, I've got magazines full of articles with Birds, Camaros and Mustangs that run into the 11's that are, surprisingly, not modified all that much. Yes, I've also seen plenty of them at Famoso, the local drag here. I have seen them drive in, get in a few runs, then drive home. :wave:

·
Registered
52 Posts
LOL...that is too funny man!!! I LOVE IT!!!

WS6 cars are fast(had one) and with ALOT of money(I mean..they need head work..cams...strengthen the bottom end..etc) and no Nitrous(N20). Nitrous can make anything quick.....but my 2003 Cobra Mustang with a 75 dollar 2,93 upper pulley(13lbs of boost) for the stock Eaton Supercharger..a 400 dollar catback exhaust and a 50 air open K&N air filter(a nice SuperChips tune also is needed) rips 11.80's with the stock tires...with my Nitto Drag Radials 11.40's all day long at 125 mph to 127 mph. Depending on my launch out of the hole. Thats a mild modded Cobra...my first was in the 10s with 22 lbs of boost..and all the mods listed on my website...but had to run 114 octane leaded fuel with my setup though....there are guys with aftermarket Kennebell blowers(more efficient than the stock Eaton Supercharger) that are running in the low 10's high 9's. And this is on the stock motor..stock heads..stock cams...just boost...tune...cold air induction...headers/x pipe/catback..and sticky tires with one hellofa driver.

Sorry to go off topic....as you can see....I am a car nut...old and new!

Again..thanks for posting that vid!!

Harry Mager
HotRodHarrys.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts