Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is in the wrong place but I didn't know where else to post.

Back in the early 90's, I collected 10th scale diecast cars. I probably have 200 models (mostly corvette and viper variations). Since they are out of the box, do they have any value? I packed them up about 10 years ago and they've been in storage ever since. Before I throw them in the dumpster, I thought I would see if they're worth anything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
1/10th scale? :confused: Suckers are huge! Storage, let alone display would be a problem. That's why I don't have but several 18th scale cars. I'd sure like to see photos of a couple. I'd try putting several up on the sale boards and see what happened...1/10th scale....WOW!

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
Are they worth anything to you? Your going to throw them away?
Another idea. Call your local United Way. Or somebody that deals with kids. Just donate them! Christmas is coming up.
I have a few large 1:18's, they do take up room. I never heard of a 1/10.
If you have a dumpster idea... wouldnt a small childs smile be a better improvement? :wave:
I am sure they will pick them up and distribute, for free.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Everything has value to someone. The only way to tell is to put one or two up for sale on ebay with a reserve price and see how they do. You might snag a Vette or Viper collector or two. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Besides Hobby Talk there are a number of other forum sites with subforums for selling or trading. Give them a try out before dumping anything. eBay is ok, but can be time consumming. If they're not worth anything to you, just donate them.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
Don't throw them in a dumpster. If you have no luck selling them another resource is to check with your town hall or local churches. They will provide you with agencies who will accept them as your donation.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Throwing them away would be an awful waste IMO. I doubt you'd have much problem finding someone local who'd love to have them.

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
There's gotta be a typo in that post somewhere....

think about it... 1/10th scale "diecast"?...and "200" of them?

that means they would be twice the size of 1/18th's...and made of metal? Wow, just one car would weigh ALOT!

..and now 200 of them?...gotta be kidding me!... this collection would have to have it's own building...and weigh over a ton!

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's gotta be a typo in that post somewhere....

think about it... 1/10th scale "diecast"?...and "200" of them?

that means they would be twice the size of 1/18th's...and made of metal? Wow, just one car would weigh ALOT!

..and now 200 of them?...gotta be kidding me!... this collection would have to have it's own building...and weigh over a ton!
You are correct. I've got tenth scale on the brain because I'm getting back into RC racing.

The cars I have are actually 18th scale. Sorry for the confusion. Also, if they aren't worth any money, I would be sure to donate them.

Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
You are correct. I've got tenth scale on the brain because I'm getting back into RC racing.

The cars I have are actually 18th scale. Sorry for the confusion. Also, if they aren't worth any money, I would be sure to donate them.

Thanks for all the input.
"POP!" The sound of the bubble bursting. :p I figured it was a mistake but thought just maybe somewhere in a land far away someone might just have constructed a few of these.

What's the oddest of the 1/18th's you have? Any older classics?

·
Registered
119 Posts
DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY or GIVE THEM AWAY as there is a market for 1/18 scale Cars. If they are in good or great condition you will not have any problem getting a high price point in them but if they are somewhat beat up on you still will get a fair price for them as many and i mean many Customizer Collectors will use them to repaint and yes of course resell. If you dont want to do the leg work then find someone that is willing to help you out and find a way to move them without THROWING THEM AWAY. They are still worth something even if they are broken or have missing parts.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DO NOT THROW THEM AWAY or GIVE THEM AWAY as there is a market for 1/18 scale Cars. If they are in good or great condition you will not have any problem getting a high price point in them but if they are somewhat beat up on you still will get a fair price for them as many and i mean many Customizer Collectors will use them to repaint and yes of course resell. If you dont want to do the leg work then find someone that is willing to help you out and find a way to move them without THROWING THEM AWAY. They are still worth something even if they are broken or have missing parts.
I thought someone might be doing something with them. As for the condition of the cars, they are spotless. I took them out of the box and stuck them on shelves. When we sold the house, I wrapped each one of the individually in bubble wrap and they have been stored in boxes for the last 10 years.

Any idea where I could list them for sale? I plan on getting them out, cleaning them up and taking pictures this week.

Thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
eBay is Worldwide of course to sell on and very successful too

Craigslist is a :rolleyes: okay site to sell on but not enough traffic for me to list items on too to sell thats why I use eBay.

Type in www.yuku.com and scroll to the bottom and hit Hobbies/Leisure and then type in the search window """" Diecast """" and that will take you too many Diecast Chatboards who deal or talk about Diecast and you can offer them up on many yukuboards once you become a FREE member. Once you become a member you can log onto any other yuku board too. To show what you have. You can use www.photobucket.com to post up pictures too. I have been a member on yuku for many years as its fun to make and meet friends who are into what you are into.

Wish you the best and like I said don't just give them away. You never know who may give you more than another person.

P.S. If you have any 1/18 Muscle Machines from Funline these are very HOTTT for Kustomizers and I have seen some go for $100 up depending on what Car Model you have.

Good luck

Peace :dude:

·
Registered
674 Posts
The Toy Peddler has pretty good traffic and the fees are a lot better than Epay. Somewhere I ran across a forum like this one dedicated to 1/18 scale, and they had what seemed to be a fairly active swap and sell board.

You might even try listing them at prettyneatstuff.biz They are free, and because they are a newer site they are looking for people to come in and list stuff...and buy stuff too. If it was me I would do a little of all of the above for 200 pieces, and see what moves them the easiest and best. Even on a place like here 200 pieces might saturate the market, after the guys who are really into it and have the money cherry pick, the rest might sit for a while because there are so many in one place. So spread them around, and let whoever know they are listed elsewhere too. Just remember to remove the ads if the piece sells.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
First rule to being a man is never throw anything in the trash! Just ask my wife, I don't throw anything away!

I still jump her case from when she threw away a 1940's Cincinnati Reds baseball cap of mine years ago when I was on vacation.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just took some pictures of the first batch. I'll have them posted up later tonight if anyone's interested.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
First rule to being a man is never throw anything in the trash! Just ask my wife, I don't throw anything away!

I still jump her case from when she threw away a 1940's Cincinnati Reds baseball cap of mine years ago when I was on vacation.
DANG TERRY! And you stayed married.....Good man :thumbsup: My gripe with my wife is not checking pockets BEFORE chunkin' clothes in the wash. :mad:

Looking forward to seeing the pics of the cars. Hope you show some of the odd stuff if you got any.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts