Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You be the judge. Here's the story:

A chance for me to buy a particular car came up here on HT offered by a member who does not frequent the board often. It came up in such a way that he mentioned he had said car and that it would be available for sale. I pm'd him and offered him the high end of what I would pay for said car. I really wanted it to add to my growing collection. The member refused to sell it to me at the price I offered as he stated, "I could never accept an offer that high from a fellow collector." I then replied asking what he thought a fair price would be that he would accept. I never received a reply back from him. A few days go by and I was cruising eBay when I noticed the same car for sale by the same member! So I watched the auction contemplating whether I should bid on it or not because I felt like I had been scammed by somebody just trying to gauge what he could get for the car from ebay. Either way, I did bid on it and I did win. After cost plus shipping, I ended up getting it for quite a bit less then what I had originally offered him. Did I get got because he used my offer for a price gauge, or did I get over by getting it for a bit less than what I offered? I feel like I got over but can't help but wonder if I was in fact used to gauge the value of this car. What do you think?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
You probably had a good idea of what it was worth, or at least what it was worth to you to have for your collection. If you ended up paying less than you were originally willing to spend for this piece, then I would say you got a good deal. Still, though, it seems like you were dealt with unfairly based on the conversation. One question - have you received the car yet?

·
Premium Member
8,297 Posts
The original card delt to you was raw,but you did get a better deal,so fawn over it and make sure you let him know him from the site :)
The cards were on your side,congrats!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
60sMetal said:
You probably had a good idea of what it was worth, or at least what it was worth to you to have for your collection. If you ended up paying less than you were originally willing to spend for this piece, then I would say you got a good deal. Still, though, it seems like you were dealt with unfairly based on the conversation. One question - have you received the car yet?
Yes. I waited for reciept of the car before making this post.

·
Banned
8,979 Posts
Well it sounds like the guy was thinking that if he could get that much here, then surely it would do even better out on the open market. Congrats on nailing him down with a contracted agreement saving you some bucks, kind of funny how things sometimes work out.

·
Banned
10,696 Posts
plankowner said:
Did I get got because he used my offer for a price gauge, or did I get over by getting it for a bit less than what I offered? I feel like I got over but can't help but wonder if I was in fact used to gauge the value of this car. What do you think?
Both, actually. You made an initial offer that the HT member decided was too high. Very noble of him. Then instead of giving you a lower figure that he thinks is fair, he turns dirtball and instead lists it on E Bay where he gambles that he can get more than you offered him. You got "got".

Lo and behold, the plan backfires, and he gets less than you originally offered him. And the real rub? The winning bidder is the same guy who now gets to pay less than he was willing to pay in the first place! You got "over".

We'll start calling you Earl, Plank, because the karma was with you!

People who do what this guy did are shady, less than honorable.... not much of the Hobby Talk "Spirit". You should let all of us know who this member was, so we don't accept any "favors" from him.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Sounds like everything worked out in the end. You got the car at a cheaper price. I'd say you won that battle!

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Hopefully the HT person who played this stunt will learn something from how things worked out and become a better HT netizen.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts