Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i have always liked hot wheel cars since i was little, but now that i am older, i collect transformers (haven't bought a car since last chrismas). anyways to get to the point: lately i have heard some very scary things when it comes to the conduct of hot wheel collectors, don't think i am attacking you all, i just am curious. i have heard stories about fans ripping open the mystery cars and just leaving them opened on the shelve when it isn't the one they want. i have heard stories of scalping, i have heard stories of collectors cutting out a particular car from a trackset or a 5 pack and stealing it. there is more stories like in this thread

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/general-discussion/131997-work-retail-post-war-stories-here.html

i just want to know, how many fans do this? the ones who are offenders of this why do you do it? can't you be patient like other fandoms? heck we transformer fans got to wait till next fall for new classic figures

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sheesh all i want to know is why would the hot wheel fans do that? is that too much to ask for?

don't see how this is a beating the dead horse moment....

·
Registered
738 Posts
sheesh all i want to know is why would the hot wheel fans do that? is that too much to ask for?

don't see how this is a beating the dead horse moment....
I have seen this in all phases of collecting. I have seen Star Wars battle packs with figures switched and returned numerous times. I have heard of people getting the Target Disney Cars exclusive sets then returning them with regular cars to get the exclusives, Hot Wheels are just one of the things that get hit like every other line. I'm sure somewhere there is a cheap @$$ Transformers collector who practices the same type of behavior you are questioning Hot Wheels collectors about.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i understand what you are saying, we have had our few nuckleheads (aka hedgehog to name one), but what i have found is that apparantly hot wheel collectors are the worst of this.....again i ain't singling anybody out, i am just curious

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
It's funny that you mention this. Where I live is a relativaly small market and I have seen the following: Missing cars from 5 packs, open mystery cars, purposely damaged cards on HTF items or of some value. It's sad, but I have to laugh at those who do this since they are morons and are not true collectors.

Gerry :)

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Good question but I don't think you will get straight answers on this subject.

You will see this in every Collectable being Collected if it can be opened -
re-packed or altered in any way to benifit the person who does this act of
distruction. Back in the 80's people would go to the Stores and punch holes
in the Cards or Slice open the BP's so they wouldn't be worth anything but
as a opener. This has been going on for many years and I dont see it
stopping anytime soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Grow up

I see this all the time. The sad thing it is forty and fifty year old men acting this way. I got a t hunt the other day and this old man just got upset because i got a t hunt. I have even had it when i get my cars they start asking and looking at what i have. All i can say is some of you need to grow up because you are making us colecters look bad in the stores.Walmart is haveing so much trouble with people and hot wheels they are changeing policy on how they put them out in the future.

·
Banned
610 Posts
Walmart Policy

Wally needs to do something. Maybe FIRE THE [email protected]$ out of unscrupulous employees, and give the honest collectors a chance, i said HONEST. Scalpers arent honest. I,m not singling anyone out, BUT there,s a guy in mexico making a dang living off hotwheels treasure hunts. I refuse to pay ridicilous prices. FLAME ON HOTWHEELS BROTHERS!!:beatdeadhorse:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Scalpers arent honest. I,m not singling anyone out, BUT there,s a guy in mexico making a dang living off hotwheels treasure hunts. I refuse to pay ridicilous prices. FLAME ON HOTWHEELS BROTHERS!!:beatdeadhorse:
I seen that guy on ePay and I too refuse to help him out in buying his TH's as he's definitely a SCALPER no doubt. Talk about getting paid twice for working at Walmart... LOL...You have to ask yourself - Is there Collectors in Mexico ???? Hmmmm .....I do know Walmarts in Mexico are not ran the same as they are in the States. I been to Mexico too many times and talk about rude people working at Wallys. Yikes. Cant ask for a sealed case without pulling what teeth they have left. LOL

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
These offenses you've heard of are just easier to get away with when you're dealing with a 3 inch or less collectible. As some have said, many collectors will try to take advantage of a situation if it presents itself often enough. The toy robot collector hobby, however, is no more immune to these type of shenanigans than the toy car hobby is. I'm pretty sure if there were a mystery robot series offered, you would see the same thing happening in your neck of the woods. I also don't doubt for an instant that more Transformers would be stolen if the huge robot-shaped bulge in the thieves pocket wouldn't give him away. Consider this, too, I'm sure we outnumber Transformers collectors a bazillion, kajillion to one (just an estimate), so you're bound to hear of these embarrassing moments much more frequently with Hot Wheels collectors than say, Transformers collectors, whose aisle always seems to remain fully stocked. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Yes your ears have heard the rumors. In most cases the rumors are true.
The sadist part is that it is adults doing the bad things and setting examples for the kids.
Of Coarse nobody thinks about the consequences of shoplifting. Which is that it costs more for everyone.
Richard
By the way it happens in Matchbox, Johnny Lightning, Majorette, Green Machines and Jada.
Theives are theives no matter where you are.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am not one of those who participates in the shaming of the hobby. I work at wally world so i can get a first peek at the product if i wish. I need not steal the product

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think its wrong on all levels to hoard vehicles! You will never see a treasure hunt at my walmart* the manager takes them all and sells on epay when I complained he told me I could apply 4 a job and when I become manager I can do it too! so I drive 20 more miles to another walmart only to find out that manager saves them for the first manager I mentioned. I called bentonville they said they would check on it! "WHATEVER" thats been 3 months ago and it is still the same way!

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I think its wrong on all levels to hoard vehicles! You will never see a treasure hunt at my walmart* the manager takes them all and sells on epay when I complained he told me I could apply 4 a job and when I become manager I can do it too! so I drive 20 more miles to another walmart only to find out that manager saves them for the first manager I mentioned. I called bentonville they said they would check on it! "WHATEVER" thats been 3 months ago and it is still the same way!
Report the Store and you will see NEW Managers

Contact Info: 1-800-WAL-MART (1-800-925-6278)

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
702 S.W. 8th Street
Bentonville, AR 72716

Explain everything to them and make sh/it up too and you will see changes

·
Registered
674 Posts
You can also report it to the Mattel distributor. I had a lovely conversation with one once, and she told me to get names, dates, times, etc and report it to Mattel. This is not behavior they wish to encourage.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Oh and Smilinbob3,
Do call many times too and report the Store many times as once never fixes anything. I know as it took me a few times to get the 2 Managers at TRU Fired back in 96 as they were teaming up in taking EVERY TH that came through that one Store. These ladies had BIG balls as they would go get a case and open up the case right in front of you and take the TH and smile doing it too. These ladies would get as many TH's they could so they can sell them at the local Swap Meet and I will tell they were making $30 up on these TH's and getting a free life out of them that's for sure. Not a bad flip when being a Scalper. Us Collectors knew we needed a change so we handed them there walking papers a few weeks later as we heard and saw they were not employeed any longer for TRU - Walmart - Target - Kmart. If we had heard or seen the ladies working somewhere else we would of reported them again and again to make there lives a living hell. People like this deserve this treatment as they dont share. Dog EAT Dog world. Sucks for them as we Collectors always get the last laugh when a plan goes right. And this plan worked like clock work.

Don't give up if you really want a TH from your local Store.

Get his/her names - dates - times as Juantoo3 said and Report.

Walmart has a 0-zero-0 tolerance with employees doing there jobs wrong.

Good luck in your battle

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I don't think you can single out HW collectors as the worst of anything. There are going to be people who take things past the point of good sense no matter what it is.

A friend of mine from out of town was hellbent on going to the stripclub the other night and gave them a buck for the jukebox every time they came round and asked, every 10 minutes, on top of the cover charge. I couldn't have cared less and was glad to get home so I could work on my cars. :p

I've found 1 TH in the 3 years I've been collecting. I buy what I like and usually only one of that casting. If it's something I'm going to customize I might buy an extra, but I don't have to have one of every color or every casting they come out with.

I did have $78 worth of HW and stuff to customize them at the checkout at WallyWerld Friday, but I only get paid once a month and a lot of that stuff was first time purchases like paint stripper too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts