Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...and I hate to say, I am very let down by this casting. I have anticipated this casting since I first learned of it over a year ago. The proportions are not right, and in studying it closely have come up with this:

1. the roof is too tall, and should be chopped just a hair to make the car look longer and less like a K-Car.
2. the shape of the rear quarter window was not captured at all, it should be flat on top and rounded on the bottom, not coming to a point at the bottom
3. the rear overhang should be longer all going to the trunk area and less vertical tail lights
4. the wheel wells should be slightly less tall (for lack of better description) with the wheels recessed slightly to get a more realistic stance of the real thing.
5. In the details, there should be a black stripe running vertically down the center of the tail lights, and the opening in the bumper should be split down the center to match the grille above (the latter I will fix with silver sharpie)
6. and perhaps the biggest letdown is the fixed hood with attached hood scoop which only came on the Hurst/Olds meaning that after the 84 version of this casting comes out, every regular Cutlass and 442 of this casting will be stuck with a non-authentic scoop. If the fixed hood was a necessity due to cost, I would have much rather have seen it done flat with a plastic scoop attached to the hood on the Hurst versions like the spoiler has been done.

I haven't heard any other complaints about these things on this casting, so am I the only one that feels this way? Perhaps it is because I have such an appreciation and knowledge of these cars that my expectaions were too high?

oh, and so you all don't think I'm just a complainer, I will say that I am very pleased with the rim choice on this car. They look much more like the Olds SSII rims than the six spokes used on the 76/77 Cutlass to represent the same wheel. Hopefully these will be used on future versions of that casting as well.

·
Premium Member
5,478 Posts
I can see each point you made, and can agree with most everything you said. The car in itself is sweet,...ya gotta admit, though. Maybe your expectations are high, but, hey, you are allowed!

I never looked at the casting the same way you did, but I can see each thing you pointed out. An opening hood would have been cool.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I was talking to Hot Rod Al and he stated that the Olds is dead on for accuracy, but it just looks a little strange done in diecast. He said some cars just look weird done in 1:64, even if they are dead on accurate.

·
Registered
723 Posts
im a big oldsmobile fan ,having owned several cutlass models and 4 -442s , i agree that the car aint perfect, but im glad to see someone jl make this car, i wish they could redo the 70-72 cars cause they are really off ,but i bought them anyway, several of them and any other scale i can find.what i wish is that jlrc2would come out with a set of factory drag cars ,ford chevy olds pontiac,you no ,plain janes with dog dish hub caps,big block no ac,just all out factory drag cars,that would be cool.a muscle car mag several years ago came out with a 50 fastest muscle cars,that would make a great series to,6 at a time.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I am not that much of a perfectionist so I really like the car. The only thing that bothers me is the hood. I wish they had made it opening and I hope they don't try to pass it off on regular Cutlasses.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just got the car yesterday and I agree with all of your points. I am sure all of these could have been made correct but not at the $2.99 price. For that price this is a very good die cast. I do hope they do the regular Cutlasses with the correct hood. Just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I don't think your a complainer,just a person who knows olds and is really into the details.
Don't forget JL is only a $3.00 toy collectible,overall I'm very happy to have this casting...I almost passed out and fell over when I found out this was the LF dinner surprize car...very happy indeed! I have 2 on card and 1 loose:)

I do agree with a couple of your points,

an opening hood would have been very nice for sure,adds detail for the realism factor and would have been easy to have 2 or more hood options. I'll take opening hood over sealed hood any time.

the high roof line does seem very obvious and makes the windshield seem huge! a slight chop would be nice.

:)

I read quite a bit about how the designers sacrifice scale and realism for what marketing thinks looks better while packaged...maybe that's what happened here.
again,overall very happy to have this olds in the collection:wave:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think you're just a bit critical, but I can understand. I'm the same way on the '63 Vette. My biggest complaint is almost all the models it has had Fuel Injection badging but has the 250HP-300HP air cleaner. Specifically the mail order Z06. One thing about what makes a Z06 is the F.I.

Now after you've heard that you think, "Wow, that's just a little thing." I think the Cutlass was done great. I swapped my wheels with some dark center Cragars off a #205-04 '71 Chevelle. Think it looks even better! I like it to start with and was even going to include it with my favorite top ten castings.

I still agree, the roofline is a bit high to give it a K-Car look. Windshield seems huge too. It seems to sit a bit high as well. Reminds me of some 1:1 cars that run around here that look like 4WD's. For a $3 car I am VERY HAPPY! JL did a great job.

How many people here have been on the Johnny train since the original Muscle Cars U.S.A? Remember the proportioning on those? They are moving up in the world and with the recent "changes" thing can/should get better.

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
I don't think they'll all be stuck with the hood scoop... remember, JL has "modular" dies now. For example, the 70-72 Monte Carlos... each year has a different grille/front bumper, and JL has the stuff to do all 3 years correctly. Same with the early 70's Riviera, they have a couple different grilles. I bet they have different hoods to put on this casting. Same idea as with the newer releases of slot car bodies... I have 3 different JL Cudas with three different fixed hoods.

About the hood not opening, I gotta agree that that's disappointing...

--rick

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont know...looks ok to me..and I own the car. For as small as the car is...its pretty darn close. Seems smaller to me than most 1/64 scale cars though.

I am happy!

Hot Rod Harry Mager
HotRodHarrys.com
83 Hurst Olds (Your Car is the Star)
2003 Cobra Mustang(Yep..she's Fast!)

PS. Nice wheel swap!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Sweet

Love the wheel swap. I can not find anymore of those bronze Chevelles as I think many of us picked them up for customs:)

Jeff

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the swap.

I only got one. Finally opened it because that Olds was beggin' me for them. Actually it was a 1 for 1 swap. I blacked in the spots that needed blacked in on the Olds original wheels and stuck them on the Chevelle and they turned out great.

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
41-willys said:
I finally found one today. I like it, so I bought 2.
you have mail willys :thumbsup:

glad you found one i looked but didn't find any :wave:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ParkRNDL said:
I don't think they'll all be stuck with the hood scoop... remember, JL has "modular" dies now. For example, the 70-72 Monte Carlos... each year has a different grille/front bumper, and JL has the stuff to do all 3 years correctly. Same with the early 70's Riviera, they have a couple different grilles. I bet they have different hoods to put on this casting. Same idea as with the newer releases of slot car bodies... I have 3 different JL Cudas with three different fixed hoods.

About the hood not opening, I gotta agree that that's disappointing...

--rick
I knew they had the capability to change the fronts and backs, as evidenced by most of the newer castings. I didn't know they were able to do different fixed hoods though. That is good news, however I have a bad feeling they aren't going to be doing that with this casting. I remember back when Jeff K was at PM that he was looking for pics of this casting and he prefered REAR 3/4 shots for reasons he didn't want to go into at the time. I fear this is the reason. I guess time will tell.

Hi to Hot Rod Harry :wave:, good to see someone from the Olds list have thier car done in diecast

And Corvette Al, wheel swap looks good on the Olds, can we see what the Chevelle looks like too?

I've been looking at this casting alot, and it's starting to look a little better to me, but the roof still isn't right. Overall, I am very pleased that this car was even done in diecast, now if we can get the 92-97 Cutlass Supreme done I will be really happy :dude:

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
96cutlass said:
I didn't know they were able to do different fixed hoods though. That is good news, however I have a bad feeling they aren't going to be doing that with this casting. I remember back when Jeff K was at PM that he was looking for pics of this casting and he prefered REAR 3/4 shots for reasons he didn't want to go into at the time. I fear this is the reason. I guess time will tell.
I was actually just guessing based on the slot car molds. I really don't know for sure that they CAN actually do different hoods on the same diecast casting, I was just assuming that it wouldn't be any harder than different grilles. Now that you mention it, I remember that thread with you and Jeff K... didn't know what you were talking about at the time, but it makes sense now...

--rick

1 - 20 of 20 Posts