Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Oxidation Genius
31,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at Hiway Hobby this afternoon and found the Jupiter 2, The UFO Mystery ship, the Flying Sub landing gear, and heck, even the new Conan kit (HUGE box!!!). Okay, I passed on Conan, since the other three things cost $150 total and Conan was another $125 - and of course, I'd have never had that much to spend when I was a widdle kid (but of course they wouldn't have cost that much when I was a widdle kid...)

Yeah, I'm rambling happily.

It's a good time to be a midle-aged modeler.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I already have one landing leg assembled and place on the bottom hull to see how it attaches. It is a HUGE kit , and build is awesome.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya know, this figures, with my luck: the guy at the checkout noticed the box had a slight crumple in one corner, so he suggested I go find an undamaged box. I just knew in the back of my mind that the undamaged box would have a damaged part in it. And yup, the elevator cage has some bent bars.

That's been my betting history: in any 50-50 possibility, I always pick the wrong 50. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
So the moral of the story is, if we don't want a kit with undamaged parts, always go for the kit with the damaged box? :confused:

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I got a hint today that my wife was unable to aquire the J 2. :(, However, I have my name and number out at 2 or 3 hobby shops in the Bay area. I am expecting a call any day now.........:cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hey, I want to give a shout out to a very unique and LARGE hobby shop in Gilroy, California. This guy (don't know his name) owns the place. His shop is a converted roller rink. He has a collection of models second to none. Much of his stuff is original still in shrink wrap. Yellowed boxes and all. Yesterday, he put out his brand new Forbidden Planet saucer along with the glow in the dark UFO repop. He still has the big seaview, pod, chariot, and sub in stock. He also put out a Monogram sub still in the wrapper for $69.00, and an original Spock with snakes. I think he has Lord knows what in the "back room" If you're in the area you gotta check out his massive collection of car models from the 50s/60s/70s. Sorry for the commercial. Nothing in it for me except keeping a relic open. I love going in there. Bad lighting, no heaters, just the smell of old models----Did I mention 2 original Aurora Robins, sealed? They're under glass like jewels!!

·
Oxidation Genius
31,283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the moral of the story is, if we don't want a kit with undamaged parts, always go for the kit with the damaged box? :confused:

Or, just go with your first selection. This happens to me often, seriously. You'd think I'd learn by now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts