Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll, I've been working on trying to get a 2 laminate motor into the 0.3's, I got there last night!! I know I can go faster. I'm shooting for a 0.350 run, and I want to hit 60mph. As far as I know, I don't think there is a faster 2lam out there at the moment!!

Jim Sgrig

Attachments

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
holy hannah. that's some serious stuff right there. pushing 60 MPH with an HO slot car designed close to 50 years ago. wow. congrats. :thumbsup:

hey, does anyone do a top speed kind of run with slot cars? more like a Bonneville Salt Flats thing? wonder how fast a Tjet could go with desert gears and more than a scale quarter mile...

--rick

·
Registered
806 Posts
Can't imagine any faster than the vid you sent of the 2 lam 47 mph. Close to 60 mph is incredible. What all do you do to these things?
Jim

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
holy hannah. that's some serious stuff right there. pushing 60 MPH with an HO slot car designed close to 50 years ago. wow. congrats. :thumbsup:

hey, does anyone do a top speed kind of run with slot cars? more like a Bonneville Salt Flats thing? wonder how fast a Tjet could go with desert gears and more than a scale quarter mile...

--rick
Rick,
I've actually gone 80.05 mph with a quad motor with a .299 et.. But man, do they like to break! It's hard to repeat this feat, lots of desloting. These things will turn into a pile of parts instantly and violently with a bad deslot episode. If you spin a gear off one of the shafts, you get a major thermal event with lots of smoke at over 100k rpms! It's something to see though. That's why I'm trying to get the 2 laminate dialed in. They're more forgiving. The quads make gobs of torque! With some patience and luck they will always outperform a 2 lam, but they love to tear things apart.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't imagine any faster than the vid you sent of the 2 lam 47 mph. Close to 60 mph is incredible. What all do you do to these things?
Jim
Jim,
When I get some time, I'm gonna put something together on how I build these things. Very tedious work, starting with a bare chassis and a bare pancake blank.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, no photos....but I got a little closer to my target tonight! I'm shooting for the 0.350's @ 60+ mph with a 2 laminate motor. First pass with a fresh wind, I ran a 0.379 @ 59.86mph!! Second pass I toasted an aluminum crown gear! :freak: I'm trying different combinations of traction magnets. I think I'm gonna go with a bronze gear next. I will keep you posted!!

Jim Sgrig

1 - 8 of 8 Posts