Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys everytime I try to down load an attachment of any kind on any site my puter locks up,what gives?

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
pepe said:
Guys everytime I try to down load an attachment of any kind on any site my puter locks up,what gives?
try exiting any unecessary programs. You may be running out of resources, or something else that is running may be conflicting.

ad trojans and viruses can cause this behavior. They use resources needed for normal operations and can also conflict with other programs.

Make sure your virus definitions files are up to date and scan your PC. Even if you have antivirus software running this can't always prevent getting caught by a virus (maybe the definition wasn't known at the time).

if you don't have any antivirus software, get some.

download ad-aware and spybot. make sure to update their definitions files (check for updates after installing).

restart your pc in safe mode. this loads only the minimal amount of programs to run the computer (hopefully none of the ad-trojans and/or viruses).

run spybot and ad-aware while in safe mode. Re-scan for viruses too.

next link to windows update and make sure all you windows software is current.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I downloaded the spyware and adware and now my computer is locking up with every download,someone told me today that I'm going to have to have my harddrive completly reformatted,it is the only cure.I can do this, but I'm not sure of the exact steps.I'm running XP and have tried the F-10 reformat but it didn't help.How do I do a complete reformat?

·
Registered
6,776 Posts
pepe said:
Okay I downloaded the spyware and adware and now my computer is locking up with every download,someone told me today that I'm going to have to have my harddrive completly reformatted,it is the only cure.I can do this, but I'm not sure of the exact steps.I'm running XP and have tried the F-10 reformat but it didn't help.How do I do a complete reformat?
You need to start the PC using the XP disk. To do this your boot order needs to be set so Boot from CD is first (update BIOS). At the "welcome to setup" screen select f10 or "R" to repair. This will start the Windows Recovery Console from which you can format the hard drive. More.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well guys thanks for the help,really! I got everything back in order and everything seems to be running fine now.Even better is charter just upgraded me to 3 meg service, up from 1.5 WOW! this thing really hums now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts