Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok i know where i can get a garden tractor with a 4 speed transaxle drive and a 16 or 18hp opposed twin on it. The carb allowed water to go down in the engine because there is no air filter box on it. the engine needs a coil and should be good to go. I know i have to pull the heads and drain the water out of them. what i want to know is if this engine is free and i drain the water out of the head should the engine be a good one. i know i will have change the oil and rebuild the carb for it run. im gonna put my 12hp i/c on it for now if i buy it while i work on the twin. If there is any other things that i have missed that i should do to the engine can you guys tell me.... thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
what you gotta watch out for is if someone tryed to start the engine with water in it (you cant compress water) the piston and rods could be broken. I bought a roper t18 with an onan 18 hp for $30 it had the same prob but from open muffler stacks

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no one tried to start it im sure off that. The guy just pushed it out back because he didn't want to buy a coil for it and he never put the air cleaner or anything back one it.... thanks for the replys

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
What should be done is the cylinders drained... and wd-40 to engine oil put down the cylinders to lube em (theres a very good chance the rings are rusted to the iron bores) But many have brought engines back even after being flooded....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts