Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

And here is my test panel (note I did it on the bottom! Me not THAT stupid...)

Lou - Awesome product. Worth every penny.

I'm saving that insane pattern around the nacelle supports for last. Yikes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm a little disappointed - As I removed some of the masks they pulled up the base coat. :(

I'll have to figure out a way to fix. Weird thing is I sprayed with gloss clear and let it dry for two days.

I think the paint had some adhesion issues with the aluminum paint I used as a light blocker on the exterior. I put primer over that but perhaps I should have roughed it up with some 600 grit before spraying.

Crap.

·
Registered
545 Posts
One trick is after you remove the template from the sheet, apply it to your hand and then remove it and look at the adhesive backing. The oil from your hand will reduce the adhesive quality by half. The template will still stick to your model quite well, but will also totally reduce the risk of pulling up your base coat. That's what I did on my build and not ONE template pulled up my base coat. Just a suggestion that has always worked for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zenomorp said:
One trick is after you remove the template from the sheet, apply it to your hand and then remove it and look at the adhesive backing. The oil from your hand will reduce the adhesive quality by half. The template will still stick to your model quite well, but will also totally reduce the risk of pulling up your base coat. That's what I did on my build and not ONE template pulled up my base coat. Just a suggestion that has always worked for me.
Dang. I still have to do the top of the saucer and the weirdo nacelle bases. I'll use your technique! Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So Thrak (since I "stalked" you over here from CF :wave: ), did you apply your glosscoat first, or the flat? I'm just getting into planning on mine, so I'm looking to figure out what is more accurate. Are you ending up with two different finishes, or more than two?

(Cya in CFOT..... :thumbsup: )

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MidLifeinMI said:
So Thrak (since I "stalked" you over here from CF :wave: ), did you apply your glosscoat first, or the flat? I'm just getting into planning on mine, so I'm looking to figure out what is more accurate. Are you ending up with two different finishes, or more than two?

(Cya in CFOT..... :thumbsup: )
Hey!

I first shot gloss white over primer. Then pearl white over that. Then gloss clear acrylic over that. Let it dry for two days and applied the aztecs.

Did not spray clear over the aztecs. I did spray flat white over the aztecs. It looks fantastic except where the paint lifted. I've managed to repair that pretty well so far. I'm going to do the top of the dish over the next couple days and will be knocking back the adhesive to avoid this problem.

·
Starship Class
11,871 Posts
thrakkorzog said:
I did spray flat white over the aztecs.
That may be part of the problem. That could have caused the edges of the templates to stick to the paint layers and peel them when you lifted them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PerfesserCoffee said:
That may be part of the problem. That could have caused the edges of the templates to stick to the paint layers and peel them when you lifted them.
Now I'm really confused. Exactly what are you supposed to spray over the templates - they are masks, right? :confused:

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
let me step in here.

I think I know what the perfesser is referring to .

Yes, by all means spray paint over the templates. That's what they are for.
but sometimes, if you lay the paint on a little thick, and depending on the type of paint you use, you can build up paint on the templates that overlaps onto the surface of the hull and that can sometimes peel upwhen you remove the mask.

To minimize this, take a minute or two and "trace" the edge with an x-acto to break the paint between the two. (but don't cut too deep or you will gouge the paint you want to keep)

I hope this comes in handy, and welcome to the tribe!

Lou

·
Starship Class
11,871 Posts
Lou Dalmaso said:
let me step in here.

I think I know what the perfesser is referring to .

Yes, by all means spray paint over the templates. That's what they are for.
but sometimes, if you lay the paint on a little thick, and depending on the type of paint you use, you can build up paint on the templates that overlaps onto the surface of the hull and that can sometimes peel upwhen you remove the mask.

To minimize this, take a minute or two and "trace" the edge with an x-acto to break the paint between the two. (but don't cut too deep or you will gouge the paint you want to keep)

I hope this comes in handy, and welcome to the tribe!

Lou

That's what I was trying to (very quickly and clumsily) indicate, yes. Sometimes, if the base coats are not fully cured, the effect of painting on top (or too thickly) bonds more easily with lower layers of paint causing the templates to stick more than they should normally.

Personally, I'd try to just lay down one fairly thin airbrushed layer of (preferably flat) paint on top of the template to minimize the peeling off of paint at the edges.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I've determined the cause of the paint lift - Two issues:

1. Flat white layered on too thick.
2. I should have roughed up the surface after sealing external light leaks using aluminum paint. I simply sprayed primer over that. Duh.

The stupid thing is that I've painted several hot rods - adhesion is always an issue - hot rods turned out fine but I would never spray over a super smooth finish without first hitting it with a scrubee or 600 grit.

Here's an example of a paint job that went well. (I also built the car from a bare chassis. One hell of a model. (sorry for the OT...)

·
Registered
523 Posts
is that a model house behind that too. had thr paint lifting problem myself and found if I put the template on my hand or jeans that it took care of it

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cougar184 said:
is that a model house behind that too. had thr paint lifting problem myself and found if I put the template on my hand or jeans that it took care of it
Yes, both are life size models.

I did the ol' hand/jeans thing on the top of the dish - and it worked much better - still had a couple panels go bad - the primer just doesn't adhere to the silver underneath. I've done a repair on it by first sanding lightly with some 400 grit then re-priming, gloss white and then pearl. I'll remask (saved a couple aztecs) and spray with a light coat of flat white - I have a feeling this will solve it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts