Hobbyist Forums banner

I am happy with Polar Lights because . . .

3K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  John P 
#1 · (Edited)
. . . they have brought back some really cool classic kits that have been a joy to collect and put together of subjects that I've loved since childhood.

More specifically, I've enjoyed their sci-fi subjects based on old TV shows and movies and wish they'd come out with even more. How else would I have purchased an affordable Robby the Robot or Batmobiles?

I'm looking forward to the 1701 refit model coming out soon and appreciate the quality work and attention to detail.

Of course, I'm hoping they'll come out with an original TV 1701 in 1/350th scale.

Just thought it was time for a posi+ive thread for a change.

Feel free to chime in with what you like about Polar Lights and what you'd liked to see in the future from them. :)

#2 ·
Definitely the nostalgia factor. I got onto PL because of the Trek kits, of which I'm a big fan (the shows and the PL kits), but also have picked up the BTTF Delorean and the Mystery Machine, and will probably grab some of the other fun stuff from my childhood. I've been impressed with the customer service and not only the accuracy and attention to detail, but the fact that these have an indefinable "fun" feel to them, as in, "let's get it right so people really have fun with this," rather than other companies rushing things to market simply to have a kit of some subject which may be a reasonable facsimile from a distance, but not when you really look at it.

#4 ·
What's not to like?

What you guys said. And -

Polar Lights has gone the extra mile with their reissues, including the increase in scale of some of the figures, most notably The Incredible Hulk and Spiderman, and the clear parts we've seen added to The Bride of Frankenstein and Dracula's Dragster.

PL has also had to work hard to reissue many of the Irwin Allen subjects that we've clamored for so much. Indeeed, it's PL's response to its customers - through this very board in fact - that puts it head and shoulders above even Aurora. The only real communication we had with the company back in the 1960s was by mail, or through its advertising. The closest Aurora came to showing an active interest in what models its customers wanted to have produced was the Monster Model Contest run in conjunction with Famous Monsters of Filmland magazine.

Nowadays both Dave Mtezner, who makes the big decisions about PL's model kit lines, and company founder Tom Lowe have made themselves available. You might catch one or another of them at the annual Warehouse Sale/LightningFest, WonderFest, or here on the boards. They're far more accessible than the executives of Aurora ever were.

#6 ·
I always appreciated the fact that Polar Lights went the extra mile to satisfy their customers. It was evident that they shared our love for the items they were producing. Even though they were in busines, and hoped to be profitable with each release, the end product was always astonishing.

I'm sure a lesser company would have cut a few corners on the packaging, box art, instructions, composition of material, etc. PL never stopped producing quality at an affordable price. The reproductions were spot on. The new kits were beautifully realized. I've never had any complaints and given nothing but praise where Polar Lights is concerned.

I only hope that the current changes will not negatively impact the company. Change doesn't always have to be a bad thing.

#8 ·
I give thanks for PL because...

Because they give me the kits I want, at a price I can afford. They make me feel important as a customer thru this forum. They make me feel better about my own modeling efforts by allowing me to share them here with other (much more accomplished!) modelers.

If the doom-sayers are correct, and PL goes the way of Aurora, I'll still give thanks to God, Tom Lowe, and Dave Metzner for the pleasure I've received from their efforts. Even having said that, though, I have full confidence that PL WILL
continue, and that we WILL have lots more good times in the years to come.

Larry

:thumbsup:

#11 ·
I don't have the nostalgic factor because I didn't know about Aurora while growing up, but Polar Lights did get me back into the hobby. The only models I ever did growing up were car models, and PL showed me that I enjoyed putting figure models together a lot more. Plus the fact that I enjoy the subject matter of most of PL products. The monsters, the comic book characters, the occasional off-beat one, like the Beatles or the Stooges. I'd love to have seen the Aurora Knights reissued and upscaled.

I also prefer the themed car models than just any normal car model. I'll take the Ecto 1 model over a '57 Chevy model anyday. Not that there is anything wrong with a regular car model.

The hobby is big enough for all kids of subject matter. I hope it stays as varied as it has been the last few years.

Larry

#12 · (Edited)
it has to be their response to their customers, both in product development and in customer service after the purchase.

im especially admire their product development team. they have consistantly done a remarkable job deciding which licenses to buy, balancing what would appeal to the mass market to what us die hards here would want. and of course never forgetting that what both grops want is a high quality, well designed, well produced, affordable kit.

#14 ·
I had never heard of PL until I found Cult's site and this BB. I had been out of modelling for so long I didn't even know what was available. I have spent so much money on them(PL models) Ramen noodles and catsup sandwiches are pretty much my daily meals now. Curse you PL!!!!!!(keep 'em coming tho!!!)

#16 ·
....The Three Stooges! Those were the kits that caught my eye when I had just happened to stop into a hobby store. I had been away from modeling for many years. Then, having a young son at comic book age, I spotted a Horizon 'Thing' model at a comic store. I picked that up, which led to getting more vinyl kits.

Then came the day at the hobby store. I had NO idea that Polar Lights even existed, let alone that they had re-popped so many kits from my youth! The Stooges kits jumped off the shelves at me. How cool! Since that time I have been able to get almost everything PL has put out. I am thankful (shouldn't this thread have been started the third week in November?) for the many, many hours of pleasure and relaxation, revisiting my youth. I am thankful for the marvelous 'home decor' PL has provided for a wall in my house. I have enough unbuilt kits in the closet to keep me building for years to come if the gravy train has reached the end of the line, but am hoping that is not the case as I still have other closets to fill!! Thanks PL! Keep 'em comin'!!

Wayne

#18 ·
Because of PL I've gotten to build some classic Aurora kits that I might not have been able own otherwise. They've also put out some very cool kits of their own. And at Wonder Fest the PL group has always been a great group to chat with.

#19 ·
I am happy with/thankful for Polar Lights because they have brought
new high quality Trek kits to the market. I now have the FJD
Scout/Destroyer and Tug already built with the DN and Connie
under construction!

I am also thankful for the classic repops of the Irwin Allen show
kits. Last but not least I am thankful for these boards.

Edge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.