Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guy i picked one of these killer tamiya shocks up last week. .This Tamiya shock is so smooth. I belive it is flourine coated, which is supose to be smother then teflon..This is also the # 1 shock i see on most touring car racers cars... They retail for 30 bucks from hyperdrive , but come with lots of extras.. mine came with an aluminum spring retainer, and an aluminum insert for the cap.. It also came with a long and short shock shaft, and what looks like a full set of hpi pistons.. It also came with the standard tamiya plastic parts, and an associated ball cup and a silva black spring .. The spring retainer has a notch in it as well so you can identify a full turn easier... For the little extra money, this shock kit Barry has is packed with all the extras right out of the bag.. I got mine in red, and i also saw some in blue...

I know alot of guys run HPI shocks, but this thing feels just as smooth to me.. A few years back some of the guys here use to run them, but they were only sold in packs of 4 for like 80 bucks...Plus you had to buy the longer shaft and such..its nice to see this killer shock sold in singles..

Thanks to Barry for offering a killer shock package..Its nice to see someone selling more then the AE shock now.. I was told this shock is also standard in the pro3 kits as well..Nice to have a color match shock..

PART NUMBER IS
TAM-1000R (RED)
TAM-1000B ( BLUE)

P.S i got mine at Lefthander i know they have a few in stock.. attached is some pics of mine..

·
Registered
662 Posts
i also purchased the shock at my local hobby shop for 23.00 very good deal.it was real easy to get the shock built on the first try and have it feel right. i got the blue one thats all they had too bad it was not black but hey can't be picky. i did use the longer of the 2 shock shafts when i built it. what would you use the shorter one for? well thanks for the great shock hd. i'm sure they'll be on all cars in the next few months.
Brad Sousa
Team
Voodoo cells
Lightspeed racing motors
Finishline racing products
Beefy products

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the short shaft looks like the standard one for touring cars.. The long one i think is the hpi long chaft, and i think barry added it to the kit for pan car purposes.. I know the shock on the tourers are short..

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
The shorter shaft is the Tamiya one thats for bolting to their TC cars.... I used to use the Tamiya shock.. I always put the lonbger HPI shaft and hpi pistons in them...

I was glad to see HD put a real shock in the kit as the original kit I had came with a Plastic useless center shock..

I was also glad to see they split them into singles.. I had to buy 4 of them lol

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
For the most part.. Except the kit gives you a few of the upgrade pieces>>>Like metal collars and spring retainers etc.. Plus the right legnth shaft... LOL

But you dont need them if your just going to be an internet racer...LOL.. :p

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Kenwood said:
But you dont need them if your just going to be an internet racer...LOL.. :p
I have the old style Tamiya shock mounted to my keyboard to allow the keyboard to flex while typing..in efforts to up my (WPM) Words per minute.
I'm trying to be the fastest typer on Hobbytalk. So I was curious to see if the new style shock was any better before upgrading.

·
Registered
76 Posts
erock1331 said:
I have the old style Tamiya shock mounted to my keyboard to allow the keyboard to flex while typing..in efforts to up my (WPM) Words per minute.
I'm trying to be the fastest typer on Hobbytalk. So I was curious to see if the new style shock was any better before upgrading.
lmao, thats funny

·
Registered
662 Posts
after putting the shock together and seemed fine i noticed i did not use the urethane bushing on top of the bladder because it was not there just checked.is it a foam bushing or what? can't find it and looked at the instructions was not there... do i need to use it? if so what can i use to replace it as i know i won't be able to get one. thanks. Brad Sousa

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Brad Sousa said:
after putting the shock together and seemed fine i noticed i did not use the urethane bushing on top of the bladder because it was not there just checked.is it a foam bushing or what? can't find it and looked at the instructions was not there... do i need to use it? if so what can i use to replace it as i know i won't be able to get one. thanks. Brad Sousa
Its just a circular piece of foam... the closest thing I could think to use would be a piece of NEW foam for a vcs side shock.. thats about what it looked like,,only red If I remember right..

·
Registered
662 Posts
thanks guys after playing with it i noticed without it the shock bleeds oil out the top with out it.i used the foam from a vcs rebuild kit and it seems to be fine. not bleeding thru any more. i'de like to get the correct one though. thanks for the fast responses.
Brad Sousa
Team
Voodoo cells
Lightspeed racing motors
Finishline racing products
Beefy products

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did not use any foam.. mine does not lean either.. another thing you guys can use in place of the bladder is an hpi 10mm oring.. this is what they use on there now shocks in place of the bladder.. This also works very well for the new AE vcs2 caps.. The oring helps make the shock feel more like a standard ae shock..

If the oring is not distorted, it shoudl seal the cap properly,., the main thing to make sure is to have the bladder clean of oil before. if there is any oil on it it will leak out and you think the shock is leaking, but it is just the exess oil above the bladder..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts