Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not surprisingly this car isn't making much of a splash in it's very own Hot Wheels forum...:rolleyes::freak:

Too bad, unfortunately this car might go unappreciated and unnoticed.
It's a HWs, so it ain't perfect, but to me the lines look right and detailed out especially with a wheel swap this car could be a real stunner.

Here's a linc...this car was a real labratory on wheels!!!
http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z998/Buick-LeSabre-Concept.aspx

I got this pic from 123N45R, hope you don't mind, Sir!

LMX

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I like it.
The back end looks similar to the Bat Mobile of the 1990's. Very unique.
I think that I will pick one or 2 up. Who knows what a customizer will do with it.
Richard

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
its butt ugly.
I do like the gauges.
in particular, the Alcohol level gauge.
who knows how many tragic deaths
could have been avoided, had only the american automobile industry
used gauges like this to test a persons breath before letting the ignition fire
up that engine.
However, with that huge eyeball looking thing at the leading edge of the hood,
a more appropriate name for this thing would be "CYCLOPS".
Harley Earl must have put away a few High Balls before designing this
awful looking thing. Hence, the "Alcohol Level" Gauge?

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I absolutly love that chrome dash and all the gauges and knobs...even the foot pedals have chrome trim.
This car even had a moisture sensor that would raise the roof if it started raining while you were away from the car.

Thanks for the thread,awesome car for sure! :)

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
Wow! I can't believe they actually made that! I'll have to grab several for sure because that one might be unpopular enough to keep it from being produced in large numbers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"....that one might be unpopular enough to keep it from being produced in large numbers."

unpopular!? I love this car! That is history baby! GM Motorama, real fantasy cars, GM design studies of the past. Helluva lot better than some of the fantasy crap HW usually comes out with. Bring on more! The buick centurion, chevrolet biscayne, Buick XP 300, & wildcat 1&2. pontiac bonneville special, & olds F88, both corvette based roadsters, the 1953 GM Futurliner, now thats a bus! and don't forget the '38 buick Y-job. There are many more. Ford and Chrysler had some incredible dream cars as well. All of these concepts shaped and influenced the production vehicles of the 50s & 60s. I hope I'm not the only one buying these!
USAcarguy

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
A big YES to more OEM show cars! :thumbsup:

HW's Le Sabre and Lummox's pics :)thumbsup:) show the car in its second look with ribbed and louvered aluminum coves and finned wheelcovers. It's a looker alright and I hope HW has license to offer colors other than silver-blue.

Le Sabre first hit the road with no side louvers, the cove matching the rest of the paint, and with very cool wheels as below. Granted the car's central headlight pod is a little too Jet Age for some, including me, but the car was admired worldwide at the time and flagrantly copied by coachbuilders.

Nice wheels! :)

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
"....that one might be unpopular enough to keep it from being produced in large numbers."

unpopular!? I love this car! That is history baby! GM Motorama, real fantasy cars, GM design studies of the past. Helluva lot better than some of the fantasy crap HW usually comes out with. Bring on more! The buick centurion, chevrolet biscayne, Buick XP 300, & wildcat 1&2. pontiac bonneville special, & olds F88, both corvette based roadsters, the 1953 GM Futurliner, now thats a bus! and don't forget the '38 buick Y-job. There are many more. Ford and Chrysler had some incredible dream cars as well. All of these concepts shaped and influenced the production vehicles of the 50s & 60s. I hope I'm not the only one buying these!
USAcarguy
Never said I didn't like it. I am all for more things like this being produced. I agree that it's way better than a lot of that fantasy stuff that HW puts out. I can't wait to find a few of these, and I hope that HW will put out more concept cars in the future. For me, the next one I'd like to see is the '54 Olds F88. That would kick butt! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
4,663 Posts
Do you think the headlights were a wee bit ahead of their time? Many would've bought it, if given the chance. It was a missed opportunity by GM...again :eek:

Ah, the good ol' days :)

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Awesomeness!!!!

That is history baby! GM Motorama, real fantasy cars, GM design studies of the past. Helluva lot better than some of the fantasy crap HW usually comes out with. Bring on more! The buick centurion, chevrolet biscayne, Buick XP 300, & wildcat 1&2. pontiac bonneville special, & olds F88, both corvette based roadsters, the 1953 GM Futurliner, now thats a bus! and don't forget the '38 buick Y-job. There are many more. Ford and Chrysler had some incredible dream cars as well. All of these concepts shaped and influenced the production vehicles of the 50s & 60s. I hope I'm not the only one buying these!
USAcarguy
Now that's what I'm talkin' about....I knew youz guys would appreciate this!!!!!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
its butt ugly.
I do like the gauges.
in particular, the Alcohol level gauge.
who knows how many tragic deaths
could have been avoided, had only the american automobile industry
used gauges like this to test a persons breath before letting the ignition fire
up that engine.
However, with that huge eyeball looking thing at the leading edge of the hood,
a more appropriate name for this thing would be "CYCLOPS".
Harley Earl must have put away a few High Balls before designing this
awful looking thing. Hence, the "Alcohol Level" Gauge?
I assume you're being sarcastic about the gauge? For those that don't know, it's not about the level of alcohol in the driver, it's about the level in the car. Car's design was aviation themed and therefore had alcohol injection (at least modeled, if not implemented).

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can see how the front might not be to everyone's taste.
But keep in mind the year of this - 1951.....way ahead of most other show cars out there in many ways.
Take a look at other show cars from this era.
And just look at that back end!!!!! I bet even CJTorino likes the rear!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Great post Lummox. I found one of these too, and although I usually don't spring for Larry's Garage cars, this one came home with me. Unfortunately, mine has a casting flaw, so I'm on the look-out for another one to DLM.

My favorite part of the 1/1 is the fake vents that go over the fins. I wonder why they never used that touch on production cars.

I think that must be Harley Earl at the wheel in 12N345R's foto.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Nope. I just dont like it.
Hey, if we all liked the same thing, the world would be pretty
boring, dont you think?
Front to rear, side to side, top to bottom,
I just dont like it.

refuse to drink the kool aid. :tongue:

I still say Harley Earl must have been three sheets to the wind
when this design popped into his noggin.:drunk:
I like alot of these GM Show cars from the fifties.
really I do. But this aint one of them.

I was being cynical, not sarcastic about the alcohol gauge.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great post Lummox. I found one of these too, and although I usually don't spring for Larry's Garage cars, this one came home with me. Unfortunately, mine has a casting flaw, so I'm on the look-out for another one to DLM.

My favorite part of the 1/1 is the fake vents that go over the fins. I wonder why they never used that touch on production cars.

BF!!! :wave:
I was strongly hoping you'd see this thread!!!! Glad you found it and it's great when you pop in and wish you could more often...such is life!

That IS an interesting touch with those line around the fins - kinda neat.
I think you know what production car eventually used these reverse slant fins...that's right, the '57 Cadillac!

And like you said, I'm quite sure that is the man hisself, Harley Earl.
I see flaws with this car, but still, he was genius!!!!
I'm a MoPar dude, but I freely addmit GM was FAR ahead of anyone else in the styling game. Along with Bill Mitchell, GM was it.
Some years it was a close tie with certain makes certain models, but overall, AND FOR SEVERAL DECADES, my opinion is GM set the standard and equally remarkable, allmost NEVER had a dud!!!
Ever hear the story of the '62 Plymouths and Dodges?
Other makers would gamble their whole empires on little rumors oveheard from GM styling executives. That's how much infuence GM had.
The '62 MoPar line up didn't have a full size car in it because of what was overheard from a GM employee. Chrysler lost probably millions on THAT debacle!!!
But those weird '62 B bodys are some of my most favorite cars ever and I own two, so their loss is my gain I guess!

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope. I just dont like it.
Hey, if we all liked the same thing, the world would be pretty
boring, dont you think?
Front to rear, side to side, top to bottom,
I just dont like it.

refuse to drink the kool aid. :tongue:

I still say Harley Earl must have been three sheets to the wind
when this design popped into his noggin.:drunk:
I like alot of these GM Show cars from the fifties.
really I do. But this aint one of them.

I was being cynical, not sarcastic about the alcohol gauge.
I like the fact you speak your mind.
Actually this is far from my favorite show car. I could name tons that I like better as far as styling goes. It IS sorta mesed up looking in some respects.
But that's not the cars focus. All the gadjetry was more the perpose of this car. Laboratory on wheels it was called.
Mostly I'm impressed and kinda shocked HWs wouls spend the time and money on this car.
I'm big on auto history so I just apreciate it is all.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

So this is currently a Larry's garage release? We haven't seen any of those in weeks here. We need a diecast infusion in the worst way :(

The thing I really like about this car is it looks like what they thought the future of the automotive industry might've looked like back in the days of the world's fair. It's sort of a dream car, yeah, but it has so many of those 50's qualities we tend to view through the scope of nostalgia, or early hollywood overkill. But taken for what it is--beautiful or strangly ugly--it's a great car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
999 Posts
I like like like like like concept cars, and there are quite a few represented in 1/64 scale. From the Corvette Corvair and Chrysler Atlantic to the Lincoln Futura and Buick LeSabre. I remember HW did an Alfa-Romeo BAT recently, and quite a few concepts found their way into production, like the Corvette roadster, Viper, Prowler and Crossfire.

I say bring 'em on, make them all, and present them to me for my approval! 1941 Chrysler Newport, anyone?

Mike

1 - 20 of 26 Posts