Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
another really stupid thing about what they are calling a "68" cast, is...

look at the base... this cast was intruduced not too many years ago...definetly after 1990

but on the base, it says "Mattel, INC 1968"! uh, duh...that is NOT the Custom Mustang redline base dudes!... and the 1968 is not descibing the year of the model of the car, either.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yep, their 67 Camaro is actually a 68. The 67 has a vent window at the front of the side windows, a 68 does not.
Yes, but the casting is based(more faithfully than the '67 Mustang based on the Custom Mustang) on the original Custom Camaro redline, which is a customized '67 Camaro. That means since it's customized, the window has now been removed. The '67 Camaro that is currently in circulation is almost exactly the same as the original Custom Camaro, the biggest difference is the base is slightly different, and of course the wheel size is different.

Another one I have noticed is that their '68 El Camino has gone by both the '68 and the '69 monikers. Based on the casting though it is a '68, as it has the '68 grill.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
This is not new for HW. They need to implement the practice of double-checking their research.
I agree ....

Mattel needs to step up and be correct when they make the label for the casting .... or .... Cover there
behinds in making Custom Cars only with Custom on the packages so they can get away with wrong labels
for what Car is inside.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Mattel needs to step up and be correct when they make the label for the casting .... or .... Cover there
behinds in making Custom Cars only with Custom on the packages so they can get away with wrong labels
for what Car is inside.
Go back and read post #4. They don't care. The things you are suggesting take more time. Time = money. They know that if they change the paint and change the date on the card, millions of HW collectors will buy it, regardless of its accuracy. Mattel is a big business, not an automotive historical society. They will do whatever it is that makes their stockholders happy.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Go back and read post #4. They don't care. The things you are suggesting take more time. Time = money. They know that if they change the paint and change the date on the card, millions of HW collectors will buy it, regardless of its accuracy. Mattel is a big business, not an automotive historical society. They will do whatever it is that makes their stockholders happy.
I hear ya on that :thumbsup:....Mattel hasn't cared for many moons since I started Collecting as they only care about the next millions for the year.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
That's assuming that HW cares about this kind of thing, which of course they do not. You appear to have bought one anyway, which is all they care about.
Do I come across as a noob to you? Most seasoned collectors know the blah, blah, blah about Mattel and specifically Hot Wheels. I'm not sure what your point is. Your obviously mistaken about the meaning of my post.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
I thought the meaning of your post was pretty straight-forward. You stated directly that HW should do better research. If you were joking I couldn't tell it from your post. My post was written assuming that you were not joking, i.e. that you actually thought that HW might take such a suggestion seriously. They won't; and I was merely pointing that out.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I personally have Collected for 4 decades now and I can tell you this much that Mattel doesn't care about Collectors nor the specifics of a Cars year and color etc of what a outsider has to say....( I wish they would tho )......Mattel only cares about the next million as they make Toys and that all.... If Mattel starts caring about what a person says or what they point out in how a Car looks bad its then when Mattel won't be putting out the Cars they do today as they do the simplest way of tooling they possibly can in making a toy Car....

Hell look at Barbie Doll. When was the last time you seen a woman or girl who looks anywhere near Barbie in body shape?? Never!!! As the women today are not even close to her in an hourglass figure.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I personally have Collected for 4 decades now and I can tell you this much that Mattel doesn't care about Collectors nor the specifics of a Cars year and color etc of what a outsider has to say....( I wish they would tho )......Mattel only cares about the next million as they make Toys and that all.... If Mattel starts caring about what a person says or what they point out in how a Car looks bad its then when Mattel won't be putting out the Cars they do today as they do the simplest way of tooling they possibly can in making a toy Car....

Hell look at Barbie Doll. When was the last time you seen a woman or girl who looks anywhere near Barbie in body shape?? Never!!! As the women today are not even close to her in an hourglass figure.
Why would you be in any way surprised by this? It's pretty much a well known fact that these corporations don't care how bad their product is as long as they are making money, and us as people complaining about it isn't going to change anything. The only thing that will make Mattel and others change their ways and make better ones is if we all stopped buying the products.

To me though it really doesn't matter that much, since they are just toys, and you are only paying a buck or so for the mainline cars, so who cares how accurate the '67 Camaro or the '67 Mustang is. If you are buying some of the upscale models at an increased price, such as the Classics series the original poster was talking about, then you can start to complain about the accuracy, but still it's not that big of a deal. If you really want the accuracy, go start collecting some of those greater scale cars, the ones that cost the real money to obtain.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Why would you be in any way surprised by this? It's pretty much a well known fact that these corporations don't care how bad their product is as long as they are making money, and us as people complaining about it isn't going to change anything. The only thing that will make Mattel and others change their ways and make better ones is if we all stopped buying the products.

To me though it really doesn't matter that much, since they are just toys, and you are only paying a buck or so for the mainline cars, so who cares how accurate the '67 Camaro or the '67 Mustang is. If you are buying some of the upscale models at an increased price, such as the Classics series the original poster was talking about, then you can start to complain about the accuracy, but still it's not that big of a deal. If you really want the accuracy, go start collecting some of those greater scale cars, the ones that cost the real money to obtain.
I was only making a fact in how Mattel looks at things.

Nothing will ever change when you are buying a $1 to $5 Car from them.

The only way Mattel changes things is when they Tool the Bigger scale Cars.

If the Car rolls and being a Error for any reason Mattel will still pack it as it
will sell no matter how bad it looks as nothing is a waste in there eyes.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I thought the meaning of your post was pretty straight-forward. You stated directly that HW should do better research. If you were joking I couldn't tell it from your post. My post was written assuming that you were not joking, i.e. that you actually thought that HW might take such a suggestion seriously. They won't; and I was merely pointing that out.
I was not joking nor was I making any official statement to Mattel. My comments were directed at the author of this thread. What do I care if Mattel takes me seriously or not as I was not addressing them. There are going to be a lot complaints on this board about Mattel. You don't have to break things down for us, in the future. If this isn't straightforward enough for you and you still feel the need to school us, knock yourself out.

-------------------------------------------------------

For the record, I just have to laugh when people try to downplay this hobby by pointing out that Hot Wheels are just toys. I think we all figured that out when searching for the diecast aisle. If you don't take this hobby serious enough to make comments or suggestions that may improve the hobby, then why are you people even wasting your times on these boards. If you are insecure about your maturity, then that's something you should be working on somewhere else.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
My comments were directed at the author of this thread.
I don't see how the author of the thread has any more influence over Mattel than the rest of us. Therefore your making a comment to him about Mattel needing to do better research makes even less sense. He obviously knows that otherwise he wouldn't have gone to the trouble to start the thread. Therefore that only logical inference for the rest of us was that your comment was vaguely directed at Mattel, a logical assumption since comments directed at various manufacturers appear on these board frequently, in the form of "I wish so-and-so would do such-and-such."

If you don't take this hobby serious enough to make comments or suggestions that may improve the hobby,
This would lead me to believe again that your comments were directed ay Mattel, since they are the only ones would could act on this suggestion for improvement.

then why are you people even wasting your times on these boards.
That depends upon the forum and the time. Back when JL was a company that cared about collectors, they were actually members of the forum and paid attention to collector's desires. Now, they are as soulless as Mattel and the main benefit of the forums to many is what it always has been, the sharing of news you can use (what's coming out, where to find it, what new models look like out of the packaging for those that haven't seen them, etc.) and a place to get a look at other's collections.

If you are insecure about your maturity, then that's something you should be working on somewhere else.
If you would like to start making personal insults, Hobby Talk is not the place for that.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
I just want to point out to you, PWSchuh, that you are as lost an individual as I've seen on this board. Your logic is more than amusing, but I've entertained it long enough. Think what you want.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts