Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dug out a couple old cases that I had carefully put a away a while back...and found a couple like this!:eek:

...this case was kept high and dry in a semi temp. controlled area... the only thing I can think of is when I had them up on a wall in one of those black/3 slot slide-the-cards-in display board, maybe the sun was hitting them once in a while.... but they weren't yellowed when they got put away in the case!
(and its only the blister, not the car..chose this one cuz the car is white, u can really see it...

R

·
0 Posts
Some HWs blisters do that... turn yellow and get brittle. Its because of things like that that made me decide that loose is the way to go... no worrying about the cardboard or plastic

Rob

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's making me think that way too. no, not plastic totes, just alot of the older HW cardboard cases... I had posted awhile back too on the 30th anniversary "Collectors Choice" 30 car set in the box, all the old spectraflame cars (they are remake/commeratives, but still...) are all developing spots where the paint is flaking off...and these are inside plastic only tombs! these where also kept inside a house...inside a closet

..side note, someone said once about the old HW Real Rider series cars, there are alot of yellowed blisters on those because of the "rubber" tires inside the blister...that this is what caused the yellowing...

R

·
0 Posts
The worst blister I have is the black 65 Mustang - totally yellow and brittle, end cracked so the nose of the car can poke out. Bums me out, I traded a blue metalflake GT Racer for it.

·
Registered
659 Posts
so i shouldnt keep my cars in a closet? huh :confused:

mine are all in a large bin thingy, stacked up atop one another, in my closet.
(lying face up)

·
Registered
451 Posts
Long term storage can really be a problem. I have a large collection of redlines that were stored for years only to find that many of them became "crumblers" (basically fell apart) or have some kind of oxidation on them. I have no idea how to stop it. It may have been from years of living near the beach or something, but they continue to deteriorate...what do you do?

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
55Badman said:
...what do you do?
maybe ya get them out of packages and let them roll around in a tool box... wasn't there a rumor that's how that $70,000 pink rear loader Beach Bomb was found? ..in an employess tool box? :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
I have heard of that with the Heavyweights, in particular the White Ambulance and Pit Crew. Which others did you have that happen too, Dan?

·
Registered
451 Posts
robmcin said:
I have heard of that with the Heavyweights, in particular the White Ambulance and Pit Crew. Which others did you have that happen too, Dan?
Yep, the white ambulance and pit crew were among the crumblers as were about 10 other Heavyweights...But, some others that have crumbled have been the Ice Tea, Superfine Turbine, Peeping Bombs (2), Scool Bus, and a few Detroit cars...its really a mess. Plus most of the other cars have some kind of oxidation or something that mainly is on the bases. The bummer part is most of these cars were mint before the problem started. About 500 cars have this problem including some old Matchboxes. The funny thing is NONE of the Topper JLs I had have this problem. Weird huh? All the cars were stored in the old HW white plastic cases. I changed over to the Playing Mantis cases when I noticed the problem, but they continue to deteriorate.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I never store my blisters in cardboard. i always store them in vented totes. cardboard draws moister from the air it never feels wet but it wiil absorbe it from the humidity. vented totes prevents this and the reason for using vented totes is to prevent the green house effect. sealed totes run the risk of forming water droplets like a green house. ive stored cars like this from 93 on all are clear and nice. but it might also have to with the climate youre in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you lived near the beach,it's just oxidation from the salt water in the air.Chlorine is very corrosive and zinc oxides to a white powder.I would recommend cleaning your cars exposed metal surfaces with a buffing cloth,without any polishing compound.If that doesn't work,you might try a dremel or other rotery tool with a felt wheel and first try without polishing compound(brasso) then with a little if it doesn't come off.You might have to seal the metal with a clear of some kind-nail polish work's good i hear.
It sound's like you need to clean them reguardless as if they are in storage bin's and continue to deteriorate.The salt from the air is corrodeing them.Be aware that if you polish the metal bases though some will not give you full price if you sell them.
Mark

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
mrkrfr04 said:
If you lived near the beach,it's just oxidation from the salt water in the air.Chlorine is very corrosive and zinc oxides to a white powder.I would recommend cleaning your cars exposed metal surfaces with a buffing cloth,without any polishing compound.If that doesn't work,you might try a dremel or other rotery tool with a felt wheel and first try without polishing compound(brasso) then with a little if it doesn't come off.You might have to seal the metal with a clear of some kind-nail polish work's good i hear.
It sound's like you need to clean them reguardless as if they are in storage bin's and continue to deteriorate.The salt from the air is corrodeing them.Be aware that if you polish the metal bases though some will not give you full price if you sell them.
Mark
thanx for the tips Mark.
I think tho, the majority of people that are talking about storing in bins or boxes (myself included) are talking of storing the cars still in the packages, or still on blister cards....where ther cannot be any exposed metal surfaces...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts