Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to dig out my old Matchbox K.I.T.T. and do a comparison with the Hot Wheels counterpart. I know they are not the best photos in the world.

Matchbox left and HW right.

My observations. The Matchbox version obviously has Knight Rider written on the doors. The tail lights are painted red and the interior is not an exact replica of the show car. The front scanner is not indented and the tampo makes it look like it's in motion. The casting itself is just a repaint of their Pontiac Firebird without the custom front bumper. However, the Matchbox style wheels are more true to the OEM Pontiac "bowling ball" hubcaps that came on the Trans Am.

·
Registered
14,323 Posts
The thing I find interesting is how "KNIGHT RIDER" is printed on the doors on the MB. Back then when the show was hot, I'm sure that would have caught the eyes of a lot of kids. And it wasn't a TV classic yet, so nobody would complain about the tampo. But nostalgia is what sells the Hot Wheels K.I.T.T. today, and they knew adults would know what it is, and would be the ones scooping them up. So no obvious identification necessary. Just a theory.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts