Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I bought a 51st anniversary Superbird from Hobbytown for 1.50$, and i was wondering, based on other increase in prices, how valuable could this be in say, 5 years? It's still carded and I intend to see how much effort it takes to maintain these; like, how well do i need to protect the card? (It is pretty nice)
Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Drink

Also, i have this 50th anniversary of Rise N climb, I've opened it over a year ago but it is in nice shape, could this increase in value as well?
(And don't worry, milton, i'm using a paper towel this time XDD)
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Yes, i am flexing my Corvette shirt JUST A LITTLE
Vehicle Car Hood Tire Wheel

What do you guys think either of these would be worth in 5 years? (also, the Rise N climb didn't have the gold card soo)

·
Administrator
38,441 Posts

Each of those are not representative of US prices or value. All UK castings are harder to get and will cost more but as you have seen there are dozens available from the US at a much cheaper price and less shipping costs.

The other one includes about $4.00 worth of free shipping.

Besides you asked about 5 years from now - not current values (or requested costs.)

Are those even from the sold items. Anyone can ask for any price - getting someone to agree to pay that price is the true litmus test. 🤙

·
2018 Atlas1121 Genuine Collector Award
21,515 Posts
The rise and climb might be worth 25-50 cents being that it's open and not on the card anymore.

Now the Corvette shirt might go up in value.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The rise and climb might be worth 25-50 cents being that it's open and not on the card anymore.

Now the Corvette shirt might go up in value.
XD wellll rip me! oh well, thanks guys (Also sorry Milton, didn't realize you guys were that strict with that stuff) might as well open the Superbird, I guess. wasn't really intending to sell it anyways, lol!

·
Registered
Matchbox, Hotwheels diecast
402 Posts
This discussion has very interesting factors going on with the increase of value for $1.00 cars in a 5-7 year period, I feel in the 51st Anniversary set the casting by Brendon Vetuskey of his firebird which is a scale version of his personal vehicle and the Sunbird with its all around sports car winnings in the real races. Many collectors are looking for just collecting and not for profit, I feel the price rise may be that of Ryu Asada castings as an iconic diecast designer for Mattel his casting and craftsmanship and demand for his casting as no other production cars will be coming from Ryu Asada 1978-2021. I I see rise in prices for redlines ,early carded series ,Treasure hunts and Super Treasure hunts and premium sets. Certain Fantasy cars like Batmobiles will see rise in time along with 2020 Tokyo Olympics and older castings like real hard to find castings. I see the price of the 50th Anniversary Gold Camaro and TH, STH....Be a Brotherhood of Diecast and enjoy the Hobby.

·
Administrator
38,441 Posts
This discussion has very interesting factors going on with the increase of value for $1.00 cars in a 5-7 year period, I feel in the 51st Anniversary set the casting by Brendon Vetuskey of his firebird which is a scale version of his personal vehicle and the Sunbird with its all around sports car winnings in the real races. Many collectors are looking for just collecting and not for profit, I feel the price rise may be that of Ryu Asada castings as an iconic diecast designer for Mattel his casting and craftsmanship and demand for his casting as no other production cars will be coming from Ryu Asada 1978-2021. I I see rise in prices for redlines ,early carded series ,Treasure hunts and Super Treasure hunts and premium sets. Certain Fantasy cars like Batmobiles will see rise in time along with 2020 Tokyo Olympics and older castings like real hard to find castings. I see the price of the 50th Anniversary Gold Camaro and TH, STH....Be a Brotherhood of Diecast and enjoy the Hobby.
Quoted for posterity. 🤙

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
To speculate the value of a casting 5 years from now is always tough.
Short of it being a Treasure Hunt of a desired casting, even those can can go down in value or of a limited Mainline run, and those don't happen very much any more
The Superbird is a nice casting, but because so many of these were made, and as mentioned, many still hanging on the pegs, it won't be a high end value casting in the future.
Sometimes there can be variations out there that may be SLIGHTLY more valuable, but I don't recall there being one for this, (I could be wrong), it wouldn't be worth enough to buy a nice meal someplace.
And as for open castings, they are usually valued at 40% or so of a mint carded price price. And if it is only valued a dollar or two, basic math says it isn't very valuable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts