Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, the easy one, I hope.
Issue #1: It won't start! When I turn the key it usually just clicks (selenoid?) and the engine rotates maybe a an inch or two, if at all, but now it's making a "grinding" sound, sounds like gears grinding. I think it's the starter on the flywheel but I could be wrong.I've tried a battery from known working mower but it just won't turn. I got it started yesterday using the original battery and jumping it off with jumper cables but it took a while for it to start. The deck belt does appear to be tight so I've even tried loosening the belt by dis-engaging the lever in the deck. Obviously the electric deck engage lever has been turn off and on trying to make sure it was working and I do hear a click when the key is on. Any ideas on what this issue is? Oh yea, the usage meter goes up by 1/10th of an hour every few attempts. The current hours on it is 107.1.

Issue #2: It runs great once it starts but after about 30 minutes it begins to loose pulling power but the engine never hiccups. This has been going on for about 2 years. (was 90 days or so out of warranty when it started) I've been having someone else mow the yard but now money is tight so I need to do it myself. I've replaced the drive belt and there was no change. All linkage appears to be good. I stopped by and asked a local shop about it and they said the YTH2348 has trouble with the transmission and that's what this sounds like. Evidently they won't repair it, it's a very expensive replacement.

Could there be anything else wrong instead of the transmission? Any suggestions on any of these 2 issues would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
First, the easy one, I hope.
Issue #1: It won't start! When I turn the key it usually just clicks (selenoid?) and the engine rotates maybe a an inch or two, if at all, but now it's making a "grinding" sound, sounds like gears grinding. I think it's the starter on the flywheel but I could be wrong.I've tried a battery from known working mower but it just won't turn. I got it started yesterday using the original battery and jumping it off with jumper cables but it took a while for it to start. The deck belt does appear to be tight so I've even tried loosening the belt by dis-engaging the lever in the deck. Obviously the electric deck engage lever has been turn off and on trying to make sure it was working and I do hear a click when the key is on. Any ideas on what this issue is? Oh yea, the usage meter goes up by 1/10th of an hour every few attempts. The current hours on it is 107.1.

Issue #2: It runs great once it starts but after about 30 minutes it begins to loose pulling power but the engine never hiccups. This has been going on for about 2 years. (was 90 days or so out of warranty when it started) I've been having someone else mow the yard but now money is tight so I need to do it myself. I've replaced the drive belt and there was no change. All linkage appears to be good. I stopped by and asked a local shop about it and they said the YTH2348 has trouble with the transmission and that's what this sounds like. Evidently they won't repair it, it's a very expensive replacement.

Could there be anything else wrong instead of the transmission? Any suggestions on any of these 2 issues would be appreciated.
issue 1 seems like it just needs a battery, issue number 2 sounds like a drive belt.

·
Registered
127 Posts
for issue #1
i would look up the motor at the org manufacture and see what the valve settings are and make sure that the valve settings are correct and make sure that all looks well with the lifters and pushrods
then i would look at the starter gear and make sure that it is good and not missing teath
last i would look at the battery that i am using if it is 200 ams or lower it should not be used on anything bigger than a 15hp engine and 201 to 275 is more used for 15.5 to 20hp and 275 to 350 is good for 20hp to 30hp
i have found that the 19.95 batteries are realy not that good unless you have a real small mower because most of those 19.95 batteries are 165amp and just don't have the power needed for the starter system

for issue #2
look up the guy on Facebook that talks about cleaning and rebuilding a hydrostatic trans axle for lawnmowers it is informative and might have a idea for you. I have tried it and it did bring back the hydrostatic drive but it was messy and took a lot of time.

thanks for the help

i love this place:wave::wave::wave::wave:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had one similar to yours in the shop last year with a transmission problem which turned out to be a build up of grass clippings packed between the clutch/brake pedal linkage and the bottom of the frame preventing the pedal from coming up all the way and not putting enough tension on the belt.
I did'nt have to remove the mower deck to clean but did have to work from under the tractor.
When I have a mower like yours (AYP made)with pulling issues I test drive it and use my foot to pull up on the clutch/brake pedal.If it pulls better with more pressure on the belt I assume it's a belt tension issue.
I'm not sure yours is the same as the one I worked on but the grass buildup was between the pedal and the underside of the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts