Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new to this forum, as well as small engines,so I hope I can get some help here. I have a 55 rancher (has been nothing but a lemon but I'm persistent). My problem now--the bar continuously slips allowing the chain to come loose constantly. The small black threaded guide that engages the bar for tightenting (or loosening) will not stay in its housing on the saw body. What holds it in place? have I sheared a small retaining pin? I'm about to shoot the saw!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah- The tensioner will just slide in and out of its housing. Answers on another forum suggested a worn cover (which houses the tensioner) or a worn chain sprocket. This saw has been a real lemon (engine problems too) but I thought I'd give it one last chance if I could fix the the tensioner.
Eric

·
Registered
149 Posts
eric , try ebay im working on a rancher 55 now that has a cylinder score , but while searching for a cylinder i saw alot of parts for the rancher including the houseing , chain tensioner ect , overall those saws are worth decent money so it's probally worth fixing

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For those who care, I found the problem. The chain tensioning screw is held onto the cranckase by a small nylon (?) washer that acts as a collar and fits into a small a small recess. It allows the screw to turn (thereby moving the tensioning pin), but keeps the entire assembly from moving in and out of its housing. Anyway the nylon collar (what is it called anyway?) had slipped out of place and no longer acted as a stop for the tensioning screw. Got it?

Boondock

1 - 5 of 5 Posts