Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
William,

Sorry to hear the bad news about your models but at least you are safe.

Do you have any pics of what they looked like in the shed before IVAN?

MMM

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
DItto on the "glad you're safe." But that is too bad about the models! I've been wondering how mine would fare if (when) we have a big earthquake up here in Vancouver, BC. Probably not well!

Brad.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Glad to hear you came through all right. My grandmother lives in Pensacola, in the Ferry Pass area -- one of the hardest hit places, according to what I hear. My dad and I went over there earlier this week -- what a mess. Some houses were hard to see from the street because of all the tree limbs. I got some photos -- one of my favorites was taken on the US 90 causeway over the north end of Escambia Bay. There were boats scattered hither and yon over the marsh and in the trees. My grandmother was blessed -- she had a limb clip the roof pretty good at one corner of her front porch, and a serious mess to clean up -- but it could have been much, much worse.

Her niece lives next door, and they had a large oak in the back yard that toppled -- it tore up their patio when the roots ripped up, and it managed to virtually destroy all three of their storage buildings -- but had it fallen the opoosite direction, it would have destroyed their home and possibly injured or killed people inside.

Qapla'

SSB

·
I make movies
2,575 Posts
Oh! That is painful to look at. I'm really sorry that you had to go through that. At least you are safe though. No models without you there to build them.

Hey at least you get to recapture the joy of making them... all over again! :D

·
Registered
775 Posts
Oh man I feel for ya...
Just pack them up in a box and I'll be down to pick the mess up in a few hours!
We are just now starting to get some rain from Ivan's "second coming".
You shouldn't run out of spare parts and think of the kitbash potential!

·
Cautiously Optimistic
5,017 Posts
Hang in there Florida modelers; you've had a hell of a summer. We earthquake-prone Californians are rooting for you. My Lunar Models Jupiter II sustained irreparable damage during the quake of `97, so I can certainly feel your pain.

·
Curmudgeon
6,630 Posts
Sure, it hurts when you think of all the time, effort, and love you've put into those kits. But compared to the losses some Floridians have suffered, if that's all you lost you're one lucky son of a gun! I don't mean to sound un-sympathetic, just trying to show there is a bright side to this tragedy.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Zombie_61 said:
But compared to the losses some Floridians have suffered, if that's all you lost you're one lucky son of a gun! I don't mean to sound un-sympathetic, just trying to show there is a bright side to this tragedy.
Keeping perspective is certainly worthwhile. At one point when I was alone with my grandmother, she started crying and finally said she was so upset because she had worked to make her "yard so pretty" and now it was such a mess. I pointed out that hers still looked better than most anyone else's in town, and certainly no worse. Of course, I think the real problem was facing something like this without my grandfather -- losing him weighs heavy on her every day, and has since he died five years ago. I miss him too -- we were very close -- but they were married 57 years and that is a change she is having a difficult time making, partly because I don't think she really wants to let him go.

Qapla'

SSB

·
Curmudgeon
6,630 Posts
sbaxter said:
Of course, I think the real problem was facing something like this without my grandfather -- losing him weighs heavy on her every day, and has since he died five years ago. I miss him too -- we were very close -- but they were married 57 years and that is a change she is having a difficult time making, partly because I don't think she really wants to let him go.
That has to be difficult. Fortunately, she has you looking after her. :thumbsup:

Back in 1986 my mother-in-law passed away after being married to my father-in-law for 43 years. Within a year, my father passed away after being married to my mother for 48 years. 5 months later, my mother married my father-in-law, and they remained together until he passed 15 years later (and my mother a year after that). If they hadn't married, there's no way we would have enjoyed their company for that amount of time. Your grandmother is lucky you show an interest in her well-being. Obviously it's not the same as sharing her life with a companion, but at least she knows someone cares about her.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts