Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking over the pictures of the Batman race sets produced over the past 10 years or so, it struck me that they are all pretty lame. Besides the batmobile in the set, it seems that the only distinguishing features are some cardboard cutouts and the box art on the front of the box.

So I am curious as to what you might do to a layout to make it "Batmanish" If you actually have made a Batman themed layout maybe you could post a picture of it. If you have done a landscaping job on a simple figure 8 ( which seems to be all Mattel knows how to do ) I would love to see photos of it.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Which era?TV show or movies?I would do a city with very tall,dark biuldings somewhere in the `50`s-60`s era but older biuldings,very industrial.

·
BANNED
8,106 Posts
I would try to do the Gotham City from the movie based on the TV show with the Batboat, Bat Copter, Bat Cycle [with Robins little break away (go cart) side car]. all the usual suspects, Penguin, Joker, Riddler, Catwoman and some of the henchmen thrown in for good measure. I have an extra Joker, Riddler, Batman, Robin from CLIX that are perfectly sized to go with the AW 4-gear Batmobile and surely one of the other Clix will closely replicate Catwoman.
if I had room for a layout, I would be working on it right now. LOL

·
Registered
885 Posts
I was thinking about doing one end like Gotham and the other end like the Cars movie.. But I still need to get more track and add onto my table before I can do anything..

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Since this is Batman, you got to have a 'Batcave' to emerge from. This may take AW designing a US-1 type of spur track section and some single-lane pieces, and a Batcave.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gilbert did the JAMES BOND set years ago. I've only seen pictures of it, and never had a chance to race on one. I am wondering how that layout adapted for Batman might look.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I see a track with different zones

With a nod to the TV series, part of it would be curvy burbank hillsides with lots of greenery. Then it would cut into a well lit downtown area, where all the buildings were 5 stories tall, sand colored, and had bright trim colors.

Another part of the track would have to be dark, and a tunnel connecting the areas would be a plus. The key to this area would be tall, narrow, stylized, night time building facades that are right up on the edge of the track to emphasize the towering effect. Lighting is a key part of this section to create the downtown effect, with cars that disappear momentarily in dark sections before reappearing under bright, focused beams. Bonus points for a chrysler building.

Gotta have Wayne manor somewhere on the table.

Last, you would need the enemy of all "serious slot racers" (lol), stunt sections. It's a central theme to many eras of the character.

Plus there's a hundred special sets you could do for a specific villian.

·
LED Burner Outer
11,710 Posts
Driving a slot car through an urban setting which really limits visibility can be a pain. First suggestion would be to expand the set. A simple figure 8 just isn't going to cut it. I would have all your big buildings as a backdrop in the city area, and use low buildings inside that city section. Things like a couple vacant lots, maybe a used car lot, and gas station to keep the track visibility to the maximum. Wayne Manor is outside the city, so maybe a couple nice houses (The nicest being the bat-house) along with a nice wooded section to keep things separated.

As far as buildings go, there are many in HO scale that will work. Scope out DPM (Design Preservation Models) for ideas. They have backdrop buildings that would work nicely and save space since they aren't very deep front to back. More bang for the buck!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DPM-Design-Preservation-Models-HO-Scale-Townhouse-Flats-3-Fronts-114-MIB-New-/140840910005?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item20cac5bcb5

A search of DPM in HO Trains will yield all sorts of buildings. Granted, some will be a little small, but the main focus is the cars, so it'll work! Another search in HO trains for houses/mansions should get you a few to choose from. Here's one..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plasticville-USA-Silver-Series-HO-Scale-Georgian-Mansion-Model-Kit-10T-/330731761269?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item4d01262e75

Looks Wayne Manor enough!! Other houses that would fit the neighborhood would be the Addams Family house and the Bates Mansion. Both are available, though kinda pricey..

Good luck with your planning!!

·
BANNED
8,106 Posts
007 gotham city

Gilbert did the JAMES BOND set years ago. I've only seen pictures of it, and never had a chance to race on one. I am wondering how that layout adapted for Batman might look.
I just sold one on the Bay and have a bunch of extra panels that all need TLC. if someone was interested, I would make them available.
:)

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
Ya know, even with the current/recent Auto World and Scaley (and mattel?) Batman race sets, it never occurred to me to landscape a track that way. What an awesome idea! Wonder if you could tie in other superhero stuff. The Green Hornet Black Beauty comes to mind...

--rick

·
BANNED
8,106 Posts
I seem to remember one of the die cast manufacturers making a bat cave but cannot recall who. I might even have one in my own cave in the second bedroom.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Traditional or new concept?

If the goal is traditional, you'd need a cardboard mountain with a 'cave' entrance. Something they never did was have a flap you had to drive thru. There have been some older sets with flying helicopters. Basically a slow RPM motor with a wire sticking out, and a Batcopter on the end. I think I saw a JL kit with a Batglider, or I'm sure you could find/make a flying machine for any of the arch enemies. If you set up the motor on a tilt, you could have it be an obstacle you need to stop for when it flies just over the track.. Grab a few of those old, yellow Aurora ramps for jumping obstacles, such as Hotwheels Joker mobiles.. They'd look great for box art, but I don't know how fun it'd be with today's ultra fast chassis.. Every Batman movie I can remember, and even the old TV show, often had chases thru Gotham city streets. Turn the figure 8 into an 8 with a pair of RR X-ings and a small oval for a trolley or 2, all relatively inexpensive add ons. Jump the trolley/train tracks instead?? Back to that slow RPM motor.. If you have a Tyco US1 chassis, that can work. Or an old Lego/Erector motor. Or, dig out that nasty looking fiber optic tree. In the base is a nice motor.

·
Premium Member
698 Posts
Batman & Robin have been around for a longtime. Way before the 60's TV series were B&W movies serials that played week to week at the movies (think Turner classic movies now) In those early weekly shows the Batmobile was a 49/50 Mercury.
They had to stop the car & get their costumes out of the trunk & put them on! Years ago I recorded all of these when TCM was showing them in order. Every once in a while I pull it out & re-watch it. Great vintage stuff.
Lots of good ideas here. Considering all of the various Batmobiles to choose from, that choice would determine the rest of the surroundings.
Would be a blast to build.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Why would it have to be just one lay out? you could put up your fig8 and have a more longer lay out on the same space just over lap them

1 - 20 of 28 Posts