Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I understand that the people behind Polar Lights are helping to re-release the old AMT/ERTL Star Wars line of kits. I for one would like to see some improvements in many of these old kits.

New box art. I know this is underway.

I would start with new decals for many of the kits. That would be a cheap and easy way to improve them.

Many of the kits need improved painting instructions. I would like to see paint charts that reflect different brands of paints.

Reference pictures. I don’t how practical that would be, but some nice clear pictures of the subject – especially close ups and cockpits – would be nice included in the literature.

Many of the kits have glaringly obvious flaws. I would love to see then fixed if at all possible. Now I am not suggesting a complete makeover of the kit but simply fixing some small flaws that would not be too costly.

For example the original X wing has a crappy cockpit, lousy pilot and if I remember correctly has backward engines. The snowspeeder has monkeys for pilots.

I could go on.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
Your suggestions about reference and decals are excellent. RC2 could implement them with minimal expense, and it would significantly improve the model without the expense of reworking any of the molds. I'm sure any suggestions that would require new tooling would be ginored - I doubt RC2 wan'ts to spend much money on this, just MAKE money off of someone else's past labor.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I think the Star Wars kits could be improved by each kit including a second kit of any of the figure kits posted on the numerous 'wish' lists posted every so often on this BB.;)

Wayne

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John P said:
Your suggestions about reference and decals are excellent. RC2 could implement them with minimal expense, and it would significantly improve the model without the expense of reworking any of the molds. I'm sure any suggestions that would require new tooling would be ginored - I doubt RC2 wan'ts to spend much money on this, just MAKE money off of someone else's past labor.

My concern is this. These models have been sold for years and some kits are still readily available. And the others you can still find for a reasonable price on eBay - often less than retail. Why bother just re-releasing them as is? There is no shortage of these older kits. They will just end up at discount toyshops selling for pennies. I bought most of my collection that way.

Most kids these days don't build models. They buy pre-painted ready to play with toys. If you want to attract new blood to the hobby you are going to have to raise the bar. Here is a prime opportunity to do just that.

I know molds are expensive. But so is producing a large number of models that just sit on store shelves and gather dust. What I am suggesting is cost effective and targeted improvement.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
Like, maybe, including plastic tubes with the X-Wing to replace those horribly-molded lasers? I'd go for that!

A small extra sprue with each kit - better pilots for the snowspeeder; pilot and cockpit tub for the X-Wing....

hmmmm.... might work!

·
Registered
185 Posts
NEW models, from NEW molds !

Spacheship models we ALWAYS wanted to see:

1. The Blockade Runner (1/350 scale, if possible)
2. The Star Destroyer (yes, a GOOD and REALISTICALLY detailed SD model, in 1/2500 scale)
3. The Executor (in 1/20000 scale)
4. The Millennium Falcon (in living 1/72 scale, and with parts for both SW and TESB/ROTJ versions). with figures of Han, Chewie, Ben, R2-D2, C3-PO, Luke and Leia).

Thease are just dreams, of course, since I really DO NOT expect nothing great from the next film, nor from the merchandising decisions. :(

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Wasn't Fine Molds doing a new Falcon? Star Wars isn't really my thing, but I could swear I read on one of these boards that was an imminent release. Check HLJ.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
flyingfrets said:
Wasn't Fine Molds doing a new Falcon? Star Wars isn't really my thing, but I could swear I read on one of these boards that was an imminent release. Check HLJ.
No, it was just wishlist thinking. FM have made no announcements at all as to their next SW kits after Slave One.

·
Curmudgeon
6,600 Posts
John P said:
I'm sure any suggestions that would require new tooling would be ignored - I doubt RC2 wan'ts to spend much money on this, just MAKE money off of someone else's past labor.
Unfortunately, I have to concur with John's statement. RC2 (Ertl) isn't known for improving on previously released kits or their attention to detail. I'm reasonably sure we won't see any "earth shattering" changes in the re-releases, but the two "unknown" kits may surprise all of us.

·
Registered
224 Posts
John P said:
No, it was just wishlist thinking. FM have made no announcements at all as to their next SW kits after Slave One.
Fine Molds may be waiting to announce what the new kit will be closer to the the release time of EIII.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I just don't see myself buying many (if any) if these SW kit reissues. I already HAVE multiples of the ones I'm interested in, acquired from closeout stores at a VERY cut price. The only way RC is gonna make any decent sales on these is to fork out the cash & do some retooling to make them more accurate. If they fail to do this, then 90% or better of the production run will be right back in the closeout stores.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't understand why they don't simply lease molds from FM (newere molds, more shots possible, better everything) or re work resin SMTs into injected plastic... :confused:

Cheers,
tvrtko

·
Registered
475 Posts
How would you improve the Star Wars line?

I would have someone who cared about the subjects making the masters. Then I would have someone who cared about the subject inspect the masters. Then I would have a quality American manufacturer produce them.

The only downside is now that kit would cost $200

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
CvrleII said:
I don't understand why they don't simply lease molds from FM (newere molds, more shots possible, better everything) or re work resin SMTs into injected plastic... :confused:

Cheers,
tvrtko
Because competitors don't lease molds to each other, and you can't make injection molds from masters carved for rubber molds?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Colleagues:
Let us remember that the Trade Federation Tank kit from Episode I was far superior to some of the earlier duggy-chew-toys. New molds would indeed deliver the goods quite nicely, in my opinion.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
So what ya'll are sayin is, if RC2 invests several hundred thousand additional dollars in each Star Wars kit, they may sell one or two more than if they just spend whatever pocket change (comparitively) it takes to shoot a few thousand of each already-existing mold they already have sitting around collecting dust?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think that about sums it up....So I guess the same idea is good for the trek kits. They should probably just pop the old Trek kits out too and forget about new ones. Why spend all that money finishing the huge molds for the refit if they already have the molds from the Undiscovered Country kit laying around all dusty and paneled up the wazooo. I have some fresh sand paper somewhere around here.

Good point

·
Oxidation Genius
31,235 Posts
Uhhhh.....no.

Talkin' about the Star Wars kits that they can pop out without any additional investment with existing molds; not the refit, which was in development when they bought the company, and decided to continue with. Two different animals, two different business decisions.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts