Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What do the members think Learning Curve/RC2 will do with their JL diecast line in the future? Is this still correct information that they will do this?

Maybe the 'kiddie' collection will just be a modification of their current tools with sealed hoods, little to no detail (emblems removed) and plastic bases. I could actually live with this scenario and just hope that this is their plan, if it has to happen. I think their first attempt at $1 cars failed due to their size...which was smaller than 1:66. Then they tried a $1.99 price-point where the cars had no opening features, but still contained enough detail and the metal base (I find it funny though that some of those castings are still used today and sold at the $3-4 range
).

I must admit that I would miss opening hoods and engines and the detailed emblems...but I would rather still like to have access to the castings!

Current casting modified to sell at a $1 would be a solution for them and would be great for us as it would save us quite a bit of money as well and still get great castings.

But I also fear a Matchbox 'HERO CITY' from the Learning Curve

Jeff

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
I'd love to see plastic chassis, sealed hood, 1 piece wheel, cheap blister card JL's for $1. I think that would be neat! The detail would still be there in the castings, just not in the paint details. Kids could buy them up and play with them without worrying about losing rubber tires and plastic rim centers. Us collectors would probably buy a few, too, I know I would if they looked good.

·
Premium Member
13,365 Posts
I would miss the diecast bases on the cars.

That is what makes the JL cars so GREAT! (a diecast base on every casting)

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
If JLs turned into some variation of HWs and MBs, I certainly would not keep collecting them. Maybe they can make some Tooned, Fatbax, Drop Tops, and Torpedoes too, seeing as how those went over so well. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I would release the older, less accurate castings (Muscle Cars #1 & #2) with one piece speed wheels and plastic chassis for $1.29 to $1.79 each. Johnny Retro style paint would look better on these, too. Most kids don't know exactly what the real cars look like in person, so the inaccuracies can be made to look more like custom modifications. (re: Jada & Foose)

Make up some catchy custom names, and add a few creative, attractive tampo designs on some of them (I'll bet that not all kids like tampos) and you've got HW beat.

Opening hoods would stay unless defeated by the price point.

This would be the entry level diecast line to get the kids started collecting. The current Precision lines would remain as they are now for adults and older kids. All it takes is a good marketing plan to achieve success.

EDIT - Ha!! Never Mind!!! I was looking at the MC #1 & #2 castings on Wyatt's site, and I see that JL already tried part of my idea with the "Speed Rebels" series. I guess they must not have gone over so well, because I sure never heard of them nor saw them in any of our stores. Oh, well, back to the drawing board!

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
If JLs turned into some variation of HWs and MBs, I certainly would not keep collecting them. Maybe they can make some Tooned, Fatbax, Drop Tops, and Torpedoes too, seeing as how those went over so well. :rolleyes:
I was thinking the JL line would remain as it is, but the $1 line would be seperate. The current castings with diecast chassis and details could be the "Collectibles" line and the $1 cars could be the "Toy" line.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Wyatt said:
I was thinking the JL line would remain as it is, but the $1 line would be seperate. The current castings with diecast chassis and details could be the "Collectibles" line and the $1 cars could be the "Toy" line.
Well that's a better idea and at least they'd know what not to do. Still you're talking a volume business and taking on Mattel and it may not be attractive enough for them to venture into that segment of the market.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
BluntFronts said:
EDIT - Ha!! Never Mind!!! I was looking at the MC #1 & #2 castings on Wyatt's site, and I see that JL already tried part of my idea with the "Speed Rebels" series. I guess they must not have gone over so well, because I sure never heard of them nor saw them in any of our stores. Oh, well, back to the drawing board!
Actaully, the Speed Rebel Series was a smaller car than the regular, they were almost like 1:70 scale or something of the sorts.

I tell you what though, they are very hard to find now, i need about 7 more of them babies and don't ever see a hint of them on e-pay

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
"Something" is better than "nothing", so I would rather see a shift to a less expensive, less detailed, cheaper packaging product rather than an extinction of the brand. The castings themselves would be much more detailed than HW/MB since they already exist. The opening hood, rubber tires, etc., I can live without. I think the "Collectibles" line that Wyatt proposed is a good idea too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got out Hotwheels because I finally realized they weren't very accurate representations of the real cars. Yes they were cheap and allow you to acumulate a huge collection of cars you really care nothing about after time. I would hate to see Johnny Lightning turn into this. Keep the regular cars for us collectors and produce the $1.00 cars if you must but it will be pretty hard taking on Mattel. Unfortunately it is the name most people associate with "Toy" cars nowadays.

·
Registered
75 Posts
part of the reason for the Speed Rebels lines lack of sucess is that they were only available at the now nearing extinction KB Toys. Much like the other brand is doing with any TRU exclusive merchandise.

I'd rather pay a little more for the castings with the detail that JL currently has than the $1 cars. I buy them for display. Not racing.

Honestly, I don't know how to get kids to begin collecting these days. We collect cars that either we played with, owned or admired when we were kids. Kids these days don't play with cars for more than 3-4 years. By the time most kids reach the ages of 7-8, most of their "toys" are electronic.

JLs best and most certain bet is their OLDs for their higher detailed "collector" oriented cars. Although it would be nice to see kids playing with a $2 racers edge JL, but then they'd have to venture into track sets like the HWs.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I don`t think they`ll add more product to die-cast.Just because it doesn`t well anymore.They should just try to continue to come out with series that sells well and have less dud cars.Maybe if quite a few people want a certain car made that could have a pre-order section on their site or work with a few OLD`s and for cars that `most` of the public wouldn`t buy but some hardcore collectors would buy.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
glhshelby said:
I don`t think they`ll add more product to die-cast.Just because it doesn`t well anymore.They should just try to continue to come out with series that sells well and have less dud cars.Maybe if quite a few people want a certain car made that could have a pre-order section on their site or work with a few OLD`s and for cars that `most` of the public wouldn`t buy but some hardcore collectors would buy.
Like... a GLH Shelby Daytona :tongue: :wave:

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
They'll probably just nuke the added details like the decals, et al, seal the hoods, and replace the diecast metal bases with cheapo plastic.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts