Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
happy birthday john:hat:
i use to make shift knobs out of hot wheels. use metal base ones.
pretty simple you only need the drill bit size of your shifter. drill center hole in base right threw the seats..thread it. blow out the inside of the car. screw it on the shifter.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Your to cool, you make everything look so easy especially riveting. I still can't get it right after years. I usually drill to deep or not deep enough and the screws end up cruked or hanging out.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Great video, John!:thumbsup: What size tap and screws did you use (.050)? Also, where could I purchase such small screws. I'd like to attempt some wheel swaps...your video makes it look very easy. Thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
happy birthday john:hat:
i use to make shift knobs out of hot wheels. use metal base ones.
pretty simple you only need the drill bit size of your shifter. drill center hole in base right threw the seats..thread it. blow out the inside of the car. screw it on the shifter.
I too made them for friends who absolutely had to have one as a shift knob....

What I did was drill through the bottom of the Car ( Diecast Bottoms ) and place a nut inside the Car w/ the same thread as the shifter and JB Weld in the nut and presto - you have a shift knob. I know they do not last long as it all depends on the driver in how they shift as I have seen and heard of them breaking with rough driving.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great video, John!:thumbsup: What size tap and screws did you use (.050)? Also, where could I purchase such small screws. I'd like to attempt some wheel swaps...your video makes it look very easy. Thanks!:thumbsup:
The screws are 2/56 X 3/16 the .050 is the size of the allen head and
the hole size for the tap. I get my stuff at Rainbow Bolt.
I also sell a kit with everything you need to get started, E-Mail me if
interested.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
The screws are 2/56 X 3/16 the .050 is the size of the allen head and
the hole size for the tap. I get my stuff at Rainbow Bolt.
I also sell a kit with everything you need to get started, E-Mail me if
interested.
Thanks for the info, John!:thumbsup: I already have a couple of cars lined up for wheel swaps. I am interested in purchasing your starter kit...will be E-mailing you!
Frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts