Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a Sears A-C portable generator w/ 7.8 HP B&S engine. It is new, BUT is 7 yrs old and has never been cranked. Has been stored indoors. No apparent damage. Still has all original tags. No gas, no oil ever added. What do I need to do to start this engine w/o damage? What are potential problems to look for? How would you proceed?

Alec

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
take the plug out, pour maybe an ounce into the plug hole and wait an hour. pu the plug back in, fill it up with oil and wait a couple minutes for oil to set in then check the gas line for dry rot and replace if necessary. pour in gas and start. now since sitting for so long the machining oil has disapated. the oil poured in the plug hole ensures the ring won't get damaged or the cylinder bore. now since it is new there shouldn't be any problems. one other thing put an autolite small engine plug in it from advance auto to get rid of that crapy champion plug to ensure a good running engine.

·
Registered
421 Posts
bugman said:
take the plug out, pour maybe an ounce into the plug hole and wait an hour. pu the plug back in, fill it up with oil and wait a couple minutes for oil to set in then check the gas line for dry rot and replace if necessary. pour in gas and start. now since sitting for so long the machining oil has disapated. the oil poured in the plug hole ensures the ring won't get damaged or the cylinder bore. now since it is new there shouldn't be any problems. one other thing put an autolite small engine plug in it from advance auto to get rid of that crapy champion plug to ensure a good running engine.

autolite # 458 to be exact
bugman, u tell people to use autolite plugs, how are they supossed to know wht one to get?
:rolleyes:

briggs flatheads use autolite # 458 or 456, either will work fine
i have had no problems with champion j19lm plugs, witch the 458 and 456 relpace

ngk# b2 or b2lm or b4lm
splitfire# sf45f
ngk v power# b4lmy
denso# w9lmr-us

1 - 4 of 4 Posts