Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might fall under the oven cleaner method. I started working on ye ol' USS Enterprise (AMT/ERTL/Polar Lights) and tried brushing some grey acrylic paint on the hatch marks on the inside of the warp pod pylons. It looks awful! And I had to step away for a bit to deal with other stuff.

There seems to be no way to remove this stuff after it has dried! Short of sanding it to death, any one have a tried and true method to remove this stuff?:wink2:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes, the paint is at least six months old, LOL! I will both approaches. Thank you, Irishtrek! Hope Portland isn't boiling you! Heard from another friend there, that it's been hitting 100 degrees!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alcohol didn't work. I will try ammonia. Glad to hear Portland is getting back to normal! Thinking of moving back up there again, someday.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried rubbing alcohol 91%, on a paper towel (don't have q-tips, unfortunately and the monthly budget is spent), rubbed with pressure and vigor, dipping in alcohol to re-wet. After an hour, there wasn't even a faint taint of paint on the towel. I didn't think about these other ideas. Soapy water I can do. Just want to be able to airbrush without having these painted areas standing out like a frikkin' beacon. I shouldn't have tried brush painting, hands too weak and shaky.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The paint was Testors Acrylic bottle paint, grey. I tried 91% Isopropyl alcohol, and vigorously rubbed the part, rewetting as necessary. I don't gave ammonia. I have bleach. I can get some ammonia at Walmart. Probably take 15 bottles to submerge the model in a Walmart plastic storage box. Shouldn't be too expensive though.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Steve, thanks. I will have to wait until August to get the degreaser or the denatured alcohol. I did try ammonia. But after a smelly half hour of letting the model sit with its engine pods in the fluid, nothing happened. Had to put the ammonia away. Can't do it outside, as the Tucson heat would evaporate it quickly.

The model is the 18", 1/537 scale AMT/ERTL TOS Enterprise from 1995. I had tried Testors Acryl Lt. Ghost Grey 921577, in the 1/4 ounce bottle. Tried handbrushing it onto a couple of engine pod features, including the gas intake vents behind the domes. I let it dry and did not like the toy look of the paint. Just wrong. I had nothing on hand to remove it, and have only recently tried to find a solution.

I want to try to get the stuff off without having to sand and destroy the details it is on.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks guys, I will keep you up to date with these different methods. I regret now having assembled the model subassemblies. Having the pylons and pods separate would make it far easier to lay in fluid to try these methods.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top