Hobbyist Forums banner

How to narrow Marx guide??

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  guinnesspeanut 
#1 ·
I'd love to run a few Marx 1/32s around my Scalextric Sport track, but the guide pickups are too far apart for constant contact. I don't want to damage the cars, and am sick of trying to make twist ties work. Does anyone have a better idea? I have 5 of their old Indy style open wheel cars. I probably could make a styrene base plate for them, but if there's an easy fix, I'll go with that.. These old cars with no magnets and skinny tires are a lot harder to race than the newer stuff.. Good controllers are a must for them to really feather out on the curves..

#2 ·
I have a marx car as well,i took the steel pickup shoes off and drilled two slots in the front part of the guide and inserted braid and soldered the motor wires to the braid. It worked great. there is a seller on ebay that also sells NOS guide assenblies for marx cars. Sellers name is Tubtrack. I assume your cars have front wheels that turn left nd right with the guide assembly, on mine it does, i think they all do.

#3 ·
Nope, mine are the earlier version, a pin in the center instead of the usual guide, and 2 fixed contacts not attached to the pin.. I don't want to drill holes in them, I'm looking for some way to attach something to the existing contacts, as they can easily be replaced(well, easier than replacing the whole chassis base with a styrene one..) .. Anyone who's tried to run Matchbox HO cars on AFX or Tyco track has to do the same type of modifying, as the Matchbox HO contacts are nowhere near enough to AFX spacing. I thought about soldering on brass strips, 90 degrees to the pickups, then another strip running parralell to the originals.. Wondering if anyone's tried this??

#4 ·
OK, think I have it.. no damage to chassis..

Ok, I made a set of pickups and they work just fine.. I did 25 laps on the equivelent of 4 T3 Scalextric sets(a respectable home track size..).. Now, to figure out a way to stamp them on a press.. If they outlast the original shoes, what are they worth to people?? I need some feedback to know if I should pursue this for other people or not.. I don't have any 'off road' tracks, but I did run over some bits n pieces I scotch taped to the track to make sure there'd be no problems. I also intentionally connected a track so there'd be a lip to run over to make sure the shoes didn't come off. These are just as solid as originals.. I'm pretty sure Marx also had 1/24 Indy style cars with the same shoes on them. These should also work on them so you can race on any track with the same rail spacing as Carrera, right next to the slot. I know I have one somewhere.. Feedback on what these are worth would be appreciated. There is NO DAMAGE TO THE CARS, UNLESS YOU CRASH!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.