Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
Low-temperature white metal, brass, bronze, silver, iron? The choice of metal has a bearing on the casting techniques available. For instance, a low temperature white metal alloy might be cast in a RTV mold. Brass and silver is often lost-wax cast in plaster of paris molds.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Go over to Cultman and find David Merriman's article on making the deBoer's Seaview. It has complete details on how he cast parts for his sub. There may be a second article of his with casting instructions at Cultman as well. He is the very best resource.
I don't know how essential a centrifuge is to success but I built one this summer. If you're planning on doing multiple copies, RTV made for metal casting sounds like a good investment ($75??). Now if I would only stop lurking and start casting...

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
please be careful. ive read/heard a lot of horror stories about people who have tried this, and not survived.

heres a thought: check with a local goldsmith. they do it all the time, and while silver isnt cheap, its not outrageous either.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
...heres a thought: check with a local goldsmith. they do it all the time, and while silver isnt cheap, its not outrageous either.
Yes, you can make your own lost-wax patterns, and the right jeweler/goldsmith could do the actual casting. As every model railroader knows, lost wax cast brass parts are used in the finest models.

·
Registered
164 Posts
speaking of silver, if you only want/need a few small parts precious metal clay (PMC) works real well and can be fired in the oven.

Be careful though, you could catch another whole hobby disease :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.