Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been racing R/c off and on since mid 80's mostly 10th and 12th scale all types. I have gotten interested in 1/4 scale a few times but have not done anything about it. Had a fire in my garage last spring and lost some of my rc stuff so maybe this is the time to start. Being in SW Indiana I know I am a few hours from closest track. How much would it cost to get something to start with? Would like to go see some run in person also. What kind of support equipment do I need? How fast do you have to replace tires, rebuild motor, etc.. Not looking to dump a ton of cash to try it out since I probably have too many hobbies now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Been racing R/c off and on since mid 80's mostly 10th and 12th scale all types. I have gotten interested in 1/4 scale a few times but have not done anything about it. Had a fire in my garage last spring and lost some of my rc stuff so maybe this is the time to start. Being in SW Indiana I know I am a few hours from closest track. How much would it cost to get something to start with? Would like to go see some run in person also. What kind of support equipment do I need? How fast do you have to replace tires, rebuild motor, etc.. Not looking to dump a ton of cash to try it out since I probably have too many hobbies now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Shakey - If your ever in the Ravenna Ohio area stop by Freddie's and check it out. They race every Saturday starting @ 1 pm.

Cost: A great rtr car about 2K. A decent car about $1K to $1200. Look around, there are a few nice cars around for sale.

Support equipment: That depends on how hard you crash, but basically rod ends, bumper channels, maybe a set of A-arms.

Tires: Some of my left side BRP tires are from 2010, basically you need a few Right rears and a couple right fronts per season (for local racing). If you want to travel, you'll need a few more (different compounds).

Motor: I replace the piston ring about three times per season. And a complete rebuild in the off season. If you blow a gasket or sumtin, that's a different story, but these motors are pretty bullet proof and run for a long time.

1/4 scale cars are pretty durable. You can buy bolts n stuff
at the hardware store.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts