Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm using a competition electronics gfx lipo ready, with a Thunder Power 1 cell 5000 mah 40c needed to know what amps i should be charging and all of the other settings should be on the charger. Im about 3 to 4 tenths a lap off the pace and the car is handling very good i'm not sure if i'm charging right. I'm charging at 5amps. I run in 13.5 cot class and if i dont get this straighted out i will not get 2 participate in Brl race coming up and it is about to run me so crazy im about to give up any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
sent pm

·
LTO
3,079 Posts
It doesn't seem to matter much at the rate of charge! 5amp, 8 amps, 12 amps....... I use 8 or 9 amps.......rarely discharge the pack, just recharge after the run.

·
Registered
343 Posts
It doesn't seem to matter much at the rate of charge! 5amp, 8 amps, 12 amps....... I use 8 or 9 amps.......rarely discharge the pack, just recharge after the run.
I do about the same. I have three but, I only seem to use two on raceday! I love that!:cool:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have seen some guys charge at 2C which would be 10amps but I really don't see a competitive edge by doing that. If anything, I could see it hurting the battery. Are you discharging past 80%? Maybe your batteries are worn out?

·
Registered
343 Posts
two? You only need 1... they get better as the day progresses so you really have no reason to change them out.
Well, the track I race at likes for you to charge in the pouch, and I always like a full charged one in my car to be ready to throw down. Just the way I like to do things.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Are people really seeing a noticeable difference by using one pack all night and continuing to re-charge it compared to having several packs??

·
Registered
88 Posts
At my track the fast guys discharge the packs and recharge them at 2C. I think the benefit of this is to get the battery warm from the inside out which seems to be a good thing. The way new batteries are always coming out we don't seem to hold on to them long enough to wear them out, even with discharging them.

The latest thing I have heard of is calibrating your charger to the track's voltmeter. It seems the new Integy charger has an adjustable cutoff for the max voltage per cell, and that you can fiddle with it to get closer to the tracks official cutoff voltage. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before CE has a software update to do the same thing.

On a side note, saw the construction of lithium cells on "How It's Made" on the Science Channel. Lithium is positively charged atom. They suspended it in an ink and match it against a negative metal foil (they showed copper being used in making a round cell). I'm guessing warmth in a LiPo battery may soften the ink and allow for better conductivity somehow???

Bob

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
how are guys balancing these battery packs? I am used to running large lipos (6 cell 5000mah) in my helicopters and we balance our packs everytime we charge. It is very important. Just wandering what the car guys are doing.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Are people really seeing a noticeable difference by using one pack all night and continuing to re-charge it compared to having several packs??
In my opinion...and experience using the Single Cell pak... I have noticed that once my first initial beginning run is done... the pack tends to come to life. However, track conditions tend to help out with this. I myself, only use one pack all day and night long! Whether you charge a 5amps or 10amps I haven't really noticed a big difference in 13.5 other than charge time. I can tell you, however that running a single cell pack has been a benefit to me as I can consentrate more on my set up and handling of my car A Big Plus!

Just my 2 cents... use it for whut its worth !

EricL #11:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
just a question for you lipo experts. one racer i run with left all of his stuff out in his truck all week and when he went to charge his 1s up the voltage was a 1.79v. he managed to get it charged and ran it, but the question is how badly was the battery damaged and how do you tell. his voltage after charging was about the same as everyone elses. 4.18-4.22v.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You should never keep the battery out in the cold. They don't like cold or freezing temps.
I use the same battery all day unless I don't have time to charge between runs.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
all you need is one pack!! these batts are awesome, you can just beat the crap out of it all night! i discharge at 30 amps after every run(if time allows)if it doesnt then just recharge!!!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Discharging it and charging it back up gives it an advantage because it heats it up,we have a rule that the bat has to be with in 10 degs of amb temp if your track does no check this you can hot it up and have a huge advantage not real fair though.

If you see guys wraping towles around there lipos and charging and discharging now you know what they are doing TOO bad we just cant charge them up run it and charge it up agine with no tricks it is what it is I guess.

Next to watch for is heat lamp light bulbs instead of regular lights bulbs in pit lights guess I am screwed I have an ott light LOL.

Jake

1 - 19 of 19 Posts