Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I need cash. in a hurry. How should I try and sell off my hobby stuff? EvilBay, curious folks email me or some other strategy?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I think it would depend on whether this is permanent or temporary. If temporary, certainly don't sell your stuff unless it's something you know you'll never build. If its permanent and there doesn't look like you've got any job prospects, then sell if you must. Your family and its survival are more important than any hobby material.

·
Super Moderator
24,371 Posts
If your eligible for unemployment benefits go sign up for them. That is the reason they exist.

Here is a link to a bunch of threads on selling off collections or inheritances. The subject is diecasts but the ideals and places to use behind them are the same.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts
If it's permanent have you applied to any of the aero space companies yet??
Seconded. I'm sure Space X and Virgin need experienced people, among others. I'm sorry for your crisis and hope it's only a short-term bump.

I can tell you from personal experience in my own life crisis, don't anticipate huge money from selling your stuff. Figure you're getting pennies on the Dollar. Don't forget you have to figure box and packing and tape and postage into your profit/loss calculation when you sell. I got bit by eBay when I didn't have the cash to ship a toy I sold and the funds would not be released until I shipped. Catch 22 personified! Luckily I was loaned the postage but that was so frustrating.

So don't assume you're paying off the house with your kits. I would suggest hanging on to them for now while you explore unemployment options and other work opportunities. And you said laid off. Does that mean it's possible you could be re-hired?

Anyway, I suspect this will end up a short term thing and you'll come out of it better than you expect. I wish you the best of luck and success!

·
Registered
558 Posts
There are lots of job postings for aerospace and NASA specifically. During the pandemic does make it trickier, though.

I do agree with Steve. Hang in there and I wish you the best!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts