Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MPR started in 1986 with a track very similar to ingalls then in 1990 built the big banked oval that has been there with the same aspalt since 1990 it have weathered very well over the years, but sonny brown can crack a 5 day old new pit wall in one lap, good job sonny you should have signed it, guess its time to put up the steel cover again

·
Premium Member
2,082 Posts
MPR started in 1986 with a track very similar to ingalls then in 1990 built the big banked oval that has been there with the same aspalt since 1990 it have weathered very well over the years, but sonny brown can crack a 5 day old new pit wall in one lap, good job sonny you should have signed it, guess its time to put up the steel cover again
Oh no he didn't? Did he bend that WCM? Here's hoping the driver, car and owner escaped un-harmed.

·
Premium Member
2,038 Posts
I was wearing my Hans device on the stand and survived.

Weird parts was that it looks like the front dzus button is what dug into the wall, I pulled a big hunk of wood out of it after the wreck. It twisted the body mount a little bit but that was the only damage. Well except for the new wall.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Veterans Park Speedway nestled along the Des Moines river in Algona, Ia. was started by the local native americans in 1863. The original name was called comeoniwontwreckya speedway. Starting out on dirt, the natives raced sprint cars on fuel made from maize. Early settlers like Dick Stein, Cobb Liekman and Lenny Steaver took over the track and started to run their cars on moonshine made from corn (cornbelt racing series). The track trived until ww2 when sprint cars were rationed so the troops could race the germans. During the war on occation one would see the local racers running around the track barefoot until a tragic sprained ankel incident involving Lane Steincold closed the track for the next 40 years. LOL

Im not sure when Veterans park speedway opened but I tnink it was in the 90s. This was not made to offend anyone I just wanted to have a little fun. :wave:

·
Registered
261 Posts
LOL. You're quite the historian. Just to fact check some of those things, I did reference the Kossuth county records and did confirm that much what you said was true. Even though I never met those early settlers, I can almost picture them in my mind. All in good fun!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I can almost hear the race announcer... "Lane Steincold gets a good run out of 2 onto the back stretch. He's looking to the high side of the leader, THEY TOUCH! Lane is down. He rolled his ankle and brings out the caution..."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts