Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I run a Trinity monster stock in my MF2. I race once a week on saturday, and on that day I have 4 races on the motor. I know guys who cutt there comm every weekend, every other weekend, every three runs, ect........... How often do you think I should cutt mine? :confused:

-Thanks for any help

-Dustin K. :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,140 Posts
Sedan and Oval -- after every day of racing... (No more than 3-4 runs)
Offroad -- Stock motors go 2-3 days of racing, Mod every race day...
12th scale -- after every day of racing...

H

·
0 Posts
It depends on brushes plus how agressive the setup was in that case it may be only one run. But for 6cell racing probably 4 runs max, in 4cell racing about 6 runs. I still use a comm stick and motor cleaner after each run until comm needs to be trued.

For racing I generally have about 3-4 good race motors and a couple replacement armatures. Older motors may be used for practice with one close in power to get vehicle setup for race trim. Having a couple extra motors allows you to have a fresh motor without the need to take extra equipment reducing wear a little to motor.

·
Registered
266 Posts
i use two motors. one motor two practice runs and a qualifier. second motor one qualifer and then the main. cut comms after each. your brushes will make the difference on how often you cut your comms.

use a comm stick after each run. you still will need to cut the comm as soon as the surface shows wear.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I personally cut comm after 2 runs no matter what.I want the most out of a motor.4 cell is a bit more forgiving.But I Don't go over 2 Heat's But as said above, The type of brush makes a big difference on when to cut a comm. If you cut one sooner.it will remove less material than letting one go longer.Objective keep it Fast and fresh. On the Plus side of cutting one sooner will help eliminate possible glitches.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So.....will cutting your comm every 4 runs put more wear on it that cutting it every 8 runs?

·
*Justin Smith*
930 Posts
I cut mine after every run and replace the brushes sometimes if i know the certain motor will run better the second time i will leave it alone. I run 4-Cell stock on oval.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Dustin said:
So.....will cutting your comm every 4 runs put more wear on it that cutting it every 8 runs?

no cause if u run it 8 rund u put a dip or valley in the com and the u have to cut more off of it
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
it all depends...

check the com after every race. if it looks dirty, or a bit pitted, its time. first though, try a com stick to clean up the face, a lil spray to clean it up. sometimes you cant get your comm cut after racing during the day.

you CAN last a whole day racing on a set of new brushes (depending on brushes) and just clean the comm at the end of the day. i know people that can go 3 weekends w/o cutting and they do just fine.

me, i used to go every weekend, and cut maybe every other weekend. i do have 5 motors though, that if they look like its time , i swap to a fresh broken in motor.

if you have a comm cutter, and you have the time.. it dont hurt to do it..

competition level, at a big race, id have a clean comm for each run.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Never go more than 1 run in off-road. Dirt will wear down the comm and slow you down. I'll cut my touring and off-road motors after each run. It will make the motors last much longer. On the other hand, if you get and Orion V2 w/ enduro brushes you can go atleast 20 runs before you need a new cut, and the brushes will last you 30+ runs. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Dustin Most stock motors. when you get it is around .295 the comm. you can use it till you get to around .270. after that it is about time to pitch it in the trash.and get a new Arm.or motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For oval i normally cut it after the race night, but if i see it slowing a little i will cut it than, but for off-road i normally do it after about 4-5 runs on the motor.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I only race oval, almost all on carpet. I run mostly monster's with 767's. For weekly club racing I can & do go 4 to 6 runs on a motor before cutting the comm. Although, when I am at a big race I cut & re-brush every run. On stock motors I throw the arm away when the comm gets to or below .270. I have found anything below that & the copper is so thin that it overheat's & falls off too much before the end of a 4 minute run.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Yeah,

I could probebly go a while on my comm. But I must have not been very specific when I said I race offroad, because I race indoor stadium on carpet. :thumbsup:

Sorry about that.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Dustin Then that put's you running 6 cell.which is harder on the comm than 4 cell. Keep it simple cut every 2 run's and be done with it.Everyone has different reason's of why and when to cut. If you want to be fast do it often. If you want to be just OK.then do it when you want.A fresh motor is a fast motor. I will retire from this as it is going nowhere.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts