Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man you guys make this stuff look easy!. I was always good at models so I figured how could this be different?I had this funky looking van I wanted to do something with. I stripped it and I used Krylon Dual which I have used before with no problem. This time it took a LONG time to set up and still has no shine after even a few coats of gloss. It even fried in a few spots which it never has before. I could strip it and start over, but I think I will keep it as a reminder of a crude 2nd attempt. :p
I think the next time I will stick to clear decal paper over a white or light base.I might even hit this with some Future floor wax and see what happens.

Before

Now

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
looks good even with the paint texture issues... i cant see the type of texture too well but if it looks wrinkled it means you layed on too much paint after waiting too long. now if its just what looks to be paint mixed with sand ive had it happen from not sanding the primer down(primer is thicker then paint) or spraying too many coats too far away. but as you used dual which i have never used it could be that...i would just stick to the normal process of primer then paint unless your trying for spectraflame. if the bumps are there before clearcoating you can wetsand with some 1500 grit then do your 2 mist coats of clear then a wet coat of clear..you need to practice doing wetcoats on some scrap coated cardboard or whatever you have laying around. basically you want the paint to look flat and even without runs and if you continue misting on coats it just builds up the little specks. just need to teach yourself how to spray on a wet coat. practice makes perfect. as i said texture can be removed as long as you dont say spray clear over the texture..just practice on some scrap using some cheap walmart 1$ paint and you will eventually get the hang of it. still looks good regardless but me im a bit ocd with paint condition so i do the same steps on a diecast as i do with a 1:1 car lol. after im done painting i will wetsand and polish using some custom pads i made for my dremel....

edit: just noticed in the last picture even though its blurry that it could be the clear coating process. sometimes if say you spray the top then try to spray the wheel well area the overspray will settle on the clear leaving a texture...i always do the hard to reach spots first(fender wells, inside window frame area ect) first then do the other areas...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts