Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first started collecting JL's there were several things that appealed to me about the brand. First and foremost was the quality. I hate junk! Second was realistic cars (sorry, no Zingers for me). Third was the organization. Here was a company that offered sets that could actually be completed. You could really say - I've got them all - and move on. Enter RC2. Now it seems they are test marketing all kinds of "stuff" to see what sells. I started collecting the 1/24s because I liked the quality and I thought RC2 would be reasonable in how they marketed them. My first shock came when RC2 started a TRU only version of the 1/24's. Newsflash RC2, distributing something exclusive thru TRU means most collectors will never see them! Shock number two came at a KB where I found 1/24s in kit form. RC2, what are you doing? Who are you marketing too, adults or kids? If a wanted 15 zillion of something I would collect Hot Wheels. I hope the "new" product line gets back to the roots that made JL's fun. If not, I guess Greenlight will get my collecting dollars in the future. :(

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
They have made Lightnings harder to love, that's for sure. But I'm not just redirecting my money to someone else. At the moment I'm going rudderless - I just buy what I like, with no particular direction or reason.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
We are really at a crossroads. Lots of long time collectors have already given up. Newer collectors are not sticking around since the product is not as available and there are plenty of alternatives.

I myself am pretty satisfied with my collection at this point. I am searching for a few select vehicles to complete some sets. Due to the shortage of new stuff, I'm not really hell bent on starting any new sets. Unless there are some drastic changes, I can see additions to my collection being few and far between in the future.

One thing this lull is doing for me, is giving me a real opportunity to rid myself of a portion of my collection that I have wanted to part with for a few years now. 1,500 Hot Wheels anyone? :D

·
Registered
971 Posts
CTWLSMIKE said:
One thing this lull is doing for me, is giving me a real opportunity to rid myself of a portion of my collection that I have wanted to part with for a few years now. 1,500 Hot Wheels anyone? :D
How about 4000? And some Matchbox? And some Action? And some Racing Champions? And some.... you get the idea. :lol:

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
NWovalfan said:
How about 4000? And some Matchbox? And some Action? And some Racing Champions? And some.... you get the idea. :lol:
Darn I forgot about those. Thanks alot for reminding me. :tongue:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I've collected toys for a looooong time and folks it runs in cycles. I started with Matchbox, some of the high-end Hotwheels (too pricey at $10), then JL (what I have most of), and now GL. Whomever makes the most detailed authentic miniature of a REAL car now gets my dollar...

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Catch up time on some JL's - maybe no rush, I find them eventually.
Green Lights - not up North, no yet nyways.
HW - blah , blah, you can get a Classics holder for $70.00 - not bloddy likely
MB - same old stuff not too much to talk about.

Maybe its time to start something else, or nothing at all, can you tell how excited I am.

·
Registered
12,345 Posts
Karl said:
Whomever makes the most detailed authentic miniature of a REAL car now gets my dollar...
That's the way I'm leaning, too, and I'm not going over a certain price in most cases any more.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi yawl! Seems like the same old situation...JL,like Hot Wheels before them, Racing Champions, McFarlane, Beanies etc etc...we all start out collecting... product becomes very popular... manufacturer milks it to death( or near death) with 2 packs, Club Exclusives, Store Exclusives etc, at which point we all have to refocus, because you'll never own them all. I try to add a few White Lightnings(which I collect) each month...lots some months...none other months...I'm not a set collector...sometimes only by one or two cars in a series that I like. Whereas, the set collectors,especially in Hot Wheels,'have' to have them all, including the ones they're not particulary fond of???? Never understood that...the money they spend on the common Hot Wheels, I add a WL or two a month...but again...thats what I like to do, and can understand where the regular shelf price puts more people into that category, or buying the regular issue JL. If you think it's hard to find JL in the States...trying coming up to Canada, where even the big WalMart stores only get in a BOX(12 cars!!!) of some of the product...oh,well...I guess we all go thru this...but if I can give any advice...concentrate on what YOU like...don't go with the masses. Take care everyone.:)

·
Top Squid
393 Posts
My "collection" will remain real lightnings, made by playing mantis or topper toys. Anything after that is lower priority, IF I even get it. No more collecting everything!

·
Registered
779 Posts
All RC2 has to do is watch how mattel does things with hot wheels and then do just the opposite.

More is not always better and I'm glad most of us here don't have that HW mentality.
I'm sorry if I offended anyone,but I feel that's the truth.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
BOOGIEVANMAN said:
HW - blah , blah, you can get a Classics holder for $70.00 - not bloddy likely
yEA,i SAW THAT YESTERDAY.I can`t believe they are selling this for $70 .This should be priced $4.99 in the stores if someone wanted to get their cars dirty.
If they actually sell a lot of these they should start offering wetland in florida to club members at a `real` discounted price. :wave:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts