Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always thought I could care less about collecting variations, unless it was a car I really liked or I read here about the variation and thought it was neat. Too much time and work to keep track of every car and every little difference. I do like to collect the repaints of certain cars, such as the Panoz, which I have in 5 or 6 different paint schemes, but that's not the same as a variation.
Last night I was looking through my stuff searching for cars to give to the Cub Scouts, and I found that I have 35 cars that I have a variation for. I must of had my head in the sand, because with the exception of maybe 6 or 7 which I found accidently, I did hunt down the others. I honestly didn't think I looked for variations (although 35 is not a lot compared to what you guys probably have).
Anyway, now that I no longer buy every FE and all the series cars each year, and only concentrate on the castings I like, I'll have to pay more attention to variations. Looks like it can be as much fun hunting for a car with PR5 wheels to go along with the one with FTE wheels. I stand a better chance of finding the variation than I do of finding a T-Hunt.

On a side note, it's also pretty cool to find out that my 2001, #117, Shoe Box with the PR5 wheels is worth about $20 according to Toy Cars and Models Magazine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
My friends pretty much keep me up on the variations weither I want them to or not. If it's something I don't collect, they've always got me looking for their collection. Here's a few of my newer favorite variations...

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, first, thanks for the pics. And the hunt is on. I have to find the Camaro with the PR5. I have the other two.

As far as the 'Vette, I've got two of the yellow ones, 1 with the gold FTE, and one with the chrome version FTE. Also have the silver with the chrome FTE, but I don't have the two you show. The top one is 10 spoke, right? What is the wheel type on the bottom 'Vette? Five variations of the same 'Vette. Definitely a nice car and a gotta have for me.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'll get variations if I find them, but I honestly don't know what's out there until I see it in the store. Once or twice this has led me to grab an error car thinking it was a variation (like a FE Muscle Tone with no hood stripe), but since I'm just getting them for the fun of it it's no loss.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
HWC.com has a variation forum, i spend about 10-15 minutes per week checking it out to find out what is HTF,what to look out for -sometimes some good trade bait comes along,that I would leave if i didnt know it was collectable - then there are a few like the black FE Cockney cab 2 with the cast registration plate WHR2GUV that was done for the chrome burners series -I am pleased to have this -how many of you guys know what this number plate means ??????????????????++- the clue is that it is a stereotype greeting from a London cabby.....
I only collect HW issues that I like and t-hunts that I find -the only exceptions to this are the good tradebait items.Anybody still need FTE yellow Superbirds and black FTE Boneshakers?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I mostly collect the hot wheels Mopars,and with those I collect the different paint vari's (and there have been a lot of those!),and sometimes the wheel variations. Other HW vehicles I buy if I like the car and how it looks (wheels,paint job,etc.)

·
Registered
643 Posts
nice find man

i have loads of variations my recent one is pin headz series cadillac with 5 spoke rims it goes fer $17.00 in lees guide lmk thanks

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Dadvball said:
The top one is 10 spoke, right? What is the wheel type on the bottom 'Vette?
Yup the first is a 10 spoke, and the other has Y5 wheels. They were in the Kroger shippers last November/December. That's also where I found that black 69 with the PR5s.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I only care for what looks cool to me.... If there is a variation of a car I like then I will get it..

:thumbsup:---Midnightrun---:wave::wave:

·
Old School Dinosaur
2,130 Posts
Midnightrun said:
I only care for what looks cool to me.... If there is a variation of a car I like then I will get it..

:thumbsup:---Midnightrun---:wave::wave:
Ditto

·
Registered
85 Posts
SMS88 said:
...then there are a few like the black FE Cockney cab 2 with the cast registration plate WHR2GUV that was done for the chrome burners series -I am pleased to have this -how many of you guys know what this number plate means ??????????????????++- the clue is that it is a stereotype greeting from a London cabby.....
it's exactly that. just like a cabbie here might say "where to sir" or one in australia might say "where to mate". a london cabbie just says "where to guv" i would assume it's an abbreviation of governor or guvner. i'm sure there some history of the word online somewhere to see where it came from long ago and just continued in use until it was a common saying.

·
Registered
40 Posts
not me. just another way to get collectors to buy their lowsy product. id rather buy what i like and leave the rest to keep the pegs warm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts