Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!
Im probably in the minority here, but I actually like hte seams in my vintage kits! I started talking about it tonight with a friend of mine while we were looking at my forgotten prisoner.. He asked why I didnt totally hide the seams (I always fill and blend gaps, etc..).. I told him that I like the little seam lines.. I dont know... I think its sort of sentimental in the aurora kits..

Kind of a fun "kids" model type feeling... I mean, in vinyl lits I have built, and others I always get rid of seams... But with the old ones, they just seam "right".. haha Hard to explain..

Anyone else feel this way?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
...great point and I agree with you completely! Adds a nostalgic charm to the kits. I've restored some of my surviving vintage kits. I wish I had taken photos when they were all seams and full of Testors glossy paint.

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
Tyler,

I didn't use putty back then when I was 7...I just slopped on the Testors paint and left it alone. All of those old kits are gone...at least mine are. So if I buy any now, I usually try to restore a build-up and cover some of the defects, glue blobs, etc....but I get what you are saying.

Some of the Prehistoric Scenes kits beg to leave the seams alone.

MMM

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I will fill seams on none detailed surfaces, will not fill and sand of detailed surfaces. for example King kong, Creature, Godzilla etc.I dont alter an original in anyway, I am very picky about dicking with original figure kits, car kits are fine like adding plug wires, etc,. I left the seams on the creature, that is posted in creature thread.

Randy

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Are you referring to the pant seams that run down the sides for the legs, or the ones like on his head?

I'll keep the seams where I think they should be, like the pants, but remove the ones on the head, where in real life, there wouldn't be any.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
On the creature. down thw legs and arms, I will fill in cracks with putty but no sanding, bad prep work can make a good painted model look like crap.

Randy

·
Registered
258 Posts
When I was young all I wanted to do was make my models seamless "like the pros"; now I like to every now and then build a classic kit truly straight-outta'-the-box: no detailing, no putty, and no paint.

Cappy D

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Didn't like them then, hate them now. I will try to get every seam out when building a kit, especially styrene. Seems like we have a good healthy debate!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I don't like seams, but I can totally understand the nostalgic appeal of leaving them. Ditto using glossy enamel paints.

Part of model-making is about getting better and better at it, but part of it is also about connecting with one's childhood. Some of my fondest memories of my dad involve building model kits with him in the days of limited kit and supply quality.

-Neil

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Why were people using glossy enamel paints back then? Testor's must have had flat colours in their line-up.

Was it just because the glossy ones came in 5 packs or something?

·
Lifetime Monster Modeler
4,124 Posts
That is exactly the reason for me Trevor....they came in a primary 8 colors pack that also included thinner. They were ALL gloss colors too. I usually wasn't the one buying the paints and glue so mom and dad opted for convenience...everything included...even a big ugly paint brush!
I don't know if they packaged flat colors like they do now with acrylics back then. We are talking late 60's early 70's.

MMM

·
Modeler's Brand
2,376 Posts
As a kid, i didn't know how to clean seams, never even crossed my mind to clean them. I just wanted to assemble and zap around the house and play with the models.

Now, no seam shall remain that can be cleaned and those that are very tough will still get my best eradication efforts. Seams take away from the 'reality' of the subject. I'm nostalgic for the kits, not my cruddy work of 30yrs ago.

To each their own w/ no quibbles.

·
Elder Statesman
1,147 Posts
As a kid I thought the seams were just the unfortunate result of gluing two pieces of plastic together. Never thought about putty or scraping or sanding. Now, I try to eliminate all the seams possible as long as I don't loose any details!! I'd have given anything to have had an airbrush back then!! Oh well, I guess that's part of what makes this hobby sooooo much fun now!!!

- Denis

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I try to remove the seams entirely now, though this can sometimes lead to damage to the model's surface, but the kits I built in the 1990's, I now realise, didn't have their seams removed in any way, and interestingly that period seems a pleasanter, more optimistic era.

·
Curmudgeon
6,602 Posts
This is clearly a simple matter of preference. I never concerned myself with seams when I was much younger; the most I would do was remove any remaining bits of styrene where the parts were removed from the sprue. These days I'll do whatever I can to remove a seam if it shouldn't be obvious. As MadCap Romanian stated above, if a seam is positioned so that it would normally be visible in real life, say on a garment where the sleeve meets the body of a coat, I may or may not leave it somewhat visible depending on the sculpt and whether or not it "fits". If a seam is located in an area with a lot of surface detail I'll do what I can to conceal it without removing or obliterating that surface detail, but if it's beyond my meager skills I'll leave it alone.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Well it depends on the seams and kits, I sanded and filled all the seams on Robin,Batman, but some kits with detail on the seam edge, I wont sand in that area, and make sure the seam is neat.like I wont sand off the creature scales and resculpt them on an original kit, but would do it on a monogram creature.
I did not sand the seams on my 1961 Frankenstein, becuase of detail,its a relic and I treat it as so.

Randy

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Like most here, as a kid, I didn't really think about the seams, didn't know you were supposed to do anything about them. Now, I have to agree with Randy, if it's gonna mess with detail, I try to avoid ruining it!

Wayne

·
Registered
859 Posts
Here's one for you. With my Prehistoric Scenes Dinos... I just paint the eyes, teeth and claws and I leave the unpainted plastic as the dinosaur colour... just like I did in the 70s.

Needless to say, I don't fill the seams on these kits.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts