Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering about my collection and it occurred to me that I have quite a few cars. So I asked myself this question, "How many is a lot?"
What do you consider to be a lot of cars?
I know I have over 26,000 in round figures (plus or minus) a couple 100.
So what do you consider to be a lot?
Richard

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
For me it would be 3,000pcs today and anymore than that I feel I will not enjoy my collection...

I had over 25,000pcs at one point of time and my collection looked like a dang store.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering about my collection and it occurred to me that I have quite a few cars. So I asked myself this question, "How many is a lot?"
What do you consider to be a lot of cars?
I know I have over 26,000 in round figures (plus or minus) a couple 100.
So what do you consider to be a lot?
Richard
I would consider that being a lot but if you have the room and $$ to afford them and it doesn't interfere in your family time then go for it.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I agree with AMX if everyone is happy than so be it. Enjoy I'm around 2000 and if life stays good I will probably be in your ballpark in 10 years or so.

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
In sheer numbers, I would think 26,000 pieces of anything is quite a lot for a private collection. I recall reading a statistic from I don't know where that the average private Hot Wheels collection was in the range of 1,400 pieces.

Nothing wrong with having a lot. But like Liv N Low said, I don't want more than I can appreciate. That would be too many.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
lol if i had that many the wife would kill me...then again i dont buy what i cannot display i dont like keeping stuff in boxes and not being able to view em...sad thing is...my detailing product "collection" takes up more room then my hotwheels and i dont even use like 1/2 of it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
"A lot," as can be seen here, lacks a clear-cut definition. With less than 125 1:64 pieces, I don't really think I have a lot, though my girlfriend might disagree. I have plans to retrieve some older pieces from secure long-term storage, which might push the total up to 500 or so. But, for me, 1,000+ pieces would constitute a lot.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Can we say we have "SUM" {wife says too many} {kids say when do we get the rest} "ALOT" 4000+ on my end but downsizing:(

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,930 Posts
I'm assuming you mean "a lot" to be a derogatory term. In that case, my wife would answer my current collection. I, on the other hand, would define "a lot" as having one more than I wanted :p

·
Registered
6,806 Posts
That would be a lot compared to what I have, but there is no right or wrong. it's what you feel good about. I have about 500-600 pieces.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
I am tracking close to 3000 pieces. I keep them in a corner in my garage so they are out if sight and out of mind.
My wife was looking for some cases to put her Micros in. She picked up a smaller case and I said "you better buy the bigger ones and get 3 or 4 of them".

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
Yes, 26K is a large collection. What percentage is displayed? If a large portion is warehoused then what's the point? Are you able to enjoy most of your collection? I think that is key.
Most of my 1:64 Racing Champions NASCAR cars are in the attic and I doubt I'll ever put them back on display. So, I ask myself: "What's the point?"
For my 1:64 collection overall (a fraction of yours), a large portion is displayed and a large portion is in readily accessible Jammers cases. I get a lot of enjoyment from them and love to show off my collection to anyone who is interested. :thumbsup:

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I have looked at my collection periodically and say to myself that is a lot. When it happens I usually thin out my collection by modifying what I collect. Gone are most duplicate castings, police, fire, trucks, chrome, BWF.
I have to say though that I am at a point where many cars get taken out of the package, cataloged, placed in a protecto-pak, and filed away. Few are displayed at this point outside of what I have jammed in a couple of cases.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A lot?? Who's to say what a lot is?? Last count 2 years ago I had around 7,000. Probably have added somewhere around 1,500 to 2,000 to that since. Yes,a lot of mine are stored away simply because of not having the room to display them. Since I have sold off my 1.1 Mustang collection and I have an empty 40x50 shop I am contemplating building a display room in the shop.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Like my buddy says..... Anything after 5,000pc is hoarding and he has 30,000pc .... He always says he needs help from the TV Show Hoarders or Buried Alive :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts