Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's no secret that people collect things for different reasons, and not just HW. How many collect HW because they feel a certain car is just "cool"? Looking at my own collection, I currently have a little over 200 HW, and they are all mainlines. It's pretty much comprised of muscle cars, European and Japanese sports car, concept cars, and some HW in-house designs. My collections is basically my "dream garage". :dude:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That's where I started. I like to collect cars that either I currently own or have owned in the past or my father owned. I obviously love the chase but I'll pass on cars that just don't appeal to me. That's why I don't collect the fantasy cars unless it super cool like te Bye Focal.

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
I think I still have the same "cool" taste that I had as a kid. When I look at a mainline it's either "yup, buying it" or "nope, not even if it was a t-hunt". Premium lines with real riders are an exception, I buy almost every one I see on the pegs. That means I've collected about 500 mainlines within a year so I need to change something there. :drunk:

·
Premium Member
9,246 Posts
I collect hotwheels because all their 1/64 scale hotwheels are cool. And because I like them and I love them. And their Pretty And their Beautiful.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
Every car I've collected I have because I thought it was cool, with the exception of some weird cars that came in multi-packs, or Hot Wheels Mystery cars. Coolness is key, I have no other rationale.

On the subject of mainlines, you can easily flood yourselves with those if you're not careful. When I began collecting, I liked the idea of how many hundreds of mainlines I could collect in a year. Because it's kind of a novelty when you start to fancy yourself as a some mega collector. When space quickly becomes an issue, you think to yourself, "hmmm, maybe I should be more choosy." :lol: I think as a collector, you end up having a lot more fun in the long run when you learn to discriminate between cool, and really cool. And then stick to collecting what you find really cool.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If I was like Jay Leno I would have so many 1:1s it wouldn't even be funny. I love cars and usually want every old classic I see. Since I'm not Jay Leno, I do it with diecast. So most of what I have I have because I would like to have it just as much in 1:1. Not all, but most.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I do now ;) i used to collect everything, multiples, variations, errors, anything really. Now i don't have the money to buy them at all so i buy maybe 3 or 4 cars every couple of months, usually the rubber tire cars, and metal base only. So sick of plasticky cars

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
7,829 Posts
I only buy HW if they are based on a real car. I don't get repaints unless it is a lot nicer than the casting I all ready have

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I always recommend people just buy what they think is cool. If you don't enjoy the cars you are buying, then why are you buying them?? Especially now with the subseries being so many cars. Back when it was 4 cars to a series it was easy to chase them all down, now it is more of a chore.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts