Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This has probably been asked a million times already, but I'm going to ask it again.

I built this Galor-class 11 years ago, when I could see.
I put lights in it.
The lights were a kit that Ertl made.

The kit uses 4 "C" batteries to run the lights.
The batteries die overnight.

Last week, I pulled it out of storage and decided to display it.

If I buy a wall plug to replace the batteries, what amp should I get?

The bulbs are those tiny little incandescent ones. Sometimes referred to as "Grain-of-Wheat" bulbs, I think.

Has anyone worked with those old Ertl light kits?

Do you know what battery adapter plug I need?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
6 volts.. and about 1/2 amp... or 1 amp will do it. EASY. "DC"

each bulb is like 1/10 of an amp .. If I remember correctly... we are talking 20 years or more since I played with them.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Batterys don't put out amps. Amperage is determined by the GOW bulb.

I believe each GOW bulb pulls about 30mA. Are they in series or parallel? In series it would be # of bulbs x 30mA for total amperage drawn.

The batteries are 1.5 volts each. Are they in series(more than likely) or parallel? If series it would be 1.5 x 4 for total voltage.

Batterys are rated in amp/hours. Sounds like they are pulling enough amps that they quickly drain the battery.

A wall wart that that puts out either 1.5 volts (if in parallel) or 6 volts (if in series)

·
Registered
557 Posts
Just about any 6 volt 0.5 amp (Or higher current) plug pack power supply should do the job easily.
Make sure that you purchase a 'regulated' unit.
Regulated means that it will always supply 6 volts no matter what load you are driving. Unregulated supplies can supply more than their rated output voltage if they are not loaded up to their rated current and that extra voltage will shorten the life of your light bulbs.

Many of these plug in power supplies come with a number of DC plugs so you can use the one that fits into the equipment that you are powering.
As your Galor probably just has a battery box, these plugs may not be that useful to you.
You could either just cut the plug off the cable and solder the wires to the wires on your model. Or better still, you could buy a DC socket and solder that to your model, replacing the battery box, so you can plug the 6 volt plug pack power supply into it.

Another thing that you also may like to consider is to solder in a diode in series with your lights. Diodes are like one way valves but a diode will also drop the supply voltage by about 0.6 volts. This is quite a small amount but it should extend the life of your light bulbs running them off a slightly lower voltage.
A standard common rectifier diode will do the job. eg 1N4001 - 1N4007.

Alien

·
Registered
895 Posts
A company named Lemax make battery boxes that have plugs for wall warts.

They are best know for the lighted animated buildings-villages that come out for Halloween and Christmas.

The only place I've seen them is Michaels.

These are seasonal but a Google search will turn them up on ebay and Amazon.

Very decent pricing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts