Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tryign to decide it I want to run 17.5 1 cell or 13.5 1 cell. How does the speed of the 17.5 1 cell compare to say a VTA car with a 21.5 2 cell? Just trying to get some kind of comaprison in my pea brain.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
741 Posts
Oops - I guess you didn't necessarily say you would use that setup in VTA, just using it as a 'for example'. My bad. How ya doin?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
two different cars that would be really hard to explain how they compair... Bob the 1 cell 17.5 would probably be about the same speed as the vta cars, maybe a tick faster at the hobbybarn if thats what your looking for.... the 1 cell 17.5 class is a good intro class for pancar!! you would probably turn 3.0-3.3 sec a lap at the barn I'm guessing

JP

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
two different cars that would be really hard to explain how they compair... Bob the 1 cell 17.5 would probably be about the same speed as the vta cars, maybe a tick faster at the hobbybarn if thats what your looking for.... the 1 cell 17.5 class is a good intro class for pancar!! you would probably turn 3.0-3.3 sec a lap at the barn I'm guessing

JP
Since it has been a few year since I ran pancar I thought it would be a good place to start. However we had a lot of fun running the old 19 turn in them at the barn too and they were faster.

I like the quote about the snails too. very funny.:thumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Since it has been a few year since I ran pancar I thought it would be a good place to start. However we had a lot of fun running the old 19 turn in them at the barn too and they were faster.

I like the quote about the snails too. very funny.:thumbsup:

Bob
yeh, most guys that run pancar on a weekly bases, that is way to slow for them.. thats why there is a 13.5, 10.5 and 7.5

·
Registered
863 Posts
So Part Timer are you getting any closer to making a decision? 17.5 is sounding faster than I thought it would be. I'm confused now and I had thought I had made a decision.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Josh...I think that's why it's good that the TOUR is taking over. Hopefully these classes stick and rules last for awhile.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
1)sc1200 I think were from like 82-88? (electric RC is growing fast) only a select few even matched batteries then, I know I was on my apple computer! HAHA

2)oval was growing (one Battery SCR1400) in think it was 4 years with one batt

3)OVAL was HUGE (SCR1700 or shortly afterwards the 1800's?) I am not sure how long they were around for I left the hobby right when these were introduced and those junk Panasonics 1700 (two batts enter the scene)

Then I left the industry, so I am not sure but I re-entered when the nimh batteries were dying, and the batteries were now about 30 manufactures and from china now but still cost more then before. HMMMM I do not know when the four cells came into play but I guess that may of help reduce the costs in racing some.

But I think history proves a single batt choice is what makes it grow.

Just my 2 cents and here is some
Recent examples:

DODC
BRL

Just a post to state my point of view, and now you see why I proposed one batt in my suggestion for national set of rules. It has proven to eliminate the guessing of what you have to spend to race. Now with lipos we have it even better then EVER!

Then we can focus on just the motors of the month!

Do not get excited guys I am not here to start a debate, But I so remember being call crazy on my proposal of national one cell only racing about 7 months ago, and I would bet in a year you will be hard pressed to find 2c classes except for larger size tracks and maybe not even there. I would run a 1 cell in pro mod on our concrete track any day against a 2cell. It will all show in time.

and not to get total off subject: I think 17.5 1 s racing is great for smaller tracks and beginners or people who just want to go and have fun young and old! It is close racing and you are able to lean on each other a little more then normal.

Moreover, anyways it does not matter how fast they are as long as they are all the same speed, it still creates great racing!

·
Registered
737 Posts
At Lakecity R/C in Plattsburgh NY we will be running the 17.5 1 cell and 13.5 1 cell class this year. The track is like Matinsville speedway, 90 ft runline with commercial carpet an flat. Some of us did some testing this summer with the 17.5 1 cell batteries and it will mostlikley be our biggest class. The 13.5 1 cell class will turn 3.0s up front and 3.2s at the end ,the 17.5 class will run3.2s up front and 3.4s at the end. We had 2 races over the summer and the response to this class was huge. Tire wear is almost nothing and you can give a litle bump & run and not wreck anyone. I feel this is a great class for all levels of drivers. It may not work for every track ( large tracks) but for us it will be a great addition to our race program.

Dick J

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
At Lakecity R/C in Plattsburgh NY we will be running the 17.5 1 cell and 13.5 1 cell class this year. The track is like Matinsville speedway, 90 ft runline with commercial carpet an flat. Some of us did some testing this summer with the 17.5 1 cell batteries and it will mostlikley be our biggest class. The 13.5 1 cell class will turn 3.0s up front and 3.2s at the end ,the 17.5 class will run3.2s up front and 3.4s at the end. We had 2 races over the summer and the response to this class was huge. Tire wear is almost nothing and you can give a litle bump & run and not wreck anyone. I feel this is a great class for all levels of drivers. It may not work for every track ( large tracks) but for us it will be a great addition to our race program.

Dick J
it is all relative and smaller track will benefit, are you running a cot or a truck body?

·
Registered
863 Posts
it is all relative and smaller track will benefit, are you running a cot or a truck body?
I'll take the liberty of answering for Part Timer since we both are going to run at the same tracks. One of the tracks we will run at is about a 90' runline. The other track will be a large oval (Snowbird size). The 17.5 is a Nastruck body. THe 13.5 is a COT body.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob,

I think I will just have to wait and see waht we run in pancar at the barn. I thought I was sure I was going to run 17.5. I may jsut start out in 7.5 and see how it goes and hopefully progress up. That is unless the barn runs 13.5 than i will have to buy that anyway so I might as well run 13.5 in both places.

Thaks for the responces guys,:thumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
878 Posts
Bob,

I think I will just have to wait and see waht we run in pancar at the barn. I thought I was sure I was going to run 17.5. I may jsut start out in 7.5 and see how it goes and hopefully progress up. That is unless the barn runs 13.5 than i will have to buy that anyway so I might as well run 13.5 in both places.

Thaks for the responces guys,:thumbsup:

Bob
13.5 should be plenty for the barn.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts