Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have read here a few times that people use pastels for highlights and shadows / lowlights... I have never even heard of that technique.. the results always look great though.. Can someone please explain it to me?

Thank you!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi All
I have read here a few times that people use pastels for highlights and shadows / lowlights... I have never even heard of that technique.. the results always look great though.. Can someone please explain it to me?
Thank you!
Well I'm no expert, as I've just started using them. I rub a little of the chalk on a piece of fine grit sandpaper.. then using a small brush I'll transfer the chalk into the area I want to shade.. then using a cosmetic like brush I'll work it until I get the look I want.. If I'm happy with it, I'll seal the finished look with a light spray coat of "Future". Like anything else, it just takes practice and experimentation..

Would be interesting to hear other methods of application...

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
What Eatcrow2 described is pretty much how I use pastels. I spray a thin coating of flat sealer instead of Future. Pastels are great for shading I've never used them for highlights though for that I go with drybrushing.

·
Never lost for words
2,123 Posts
I like to use eye shadow applicators to apply ground up pastels. They're short, sponge tipped "brushes," reasonably cheap, available from the cosmetics counter of your local drug store. They have the advantage of being able to "smear" the pastels over the model leaving blended edges.

Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like to use eye shadow applicators to apply ground up pastels. They're short, sponge tipped "brushes," reasonably cheap, available from the cosmetics counter of your local drug store. They have the advantage of being able to "smear" the pastels over the model leaving blended edges.
Jim
Good tip Jim... will have to get myself some of those on my next store run. Thanks.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts